Students participate in second cuts of Yell Like Hell

Kyle Schlichting/Iowa State Daily

The Gamma Phi Beta pairing perform their skit “The ReCYrment Plan,” for Yell like Hell 2nd Cuts on Wednesday night. Iowa State Sororities and Fraternities performed their Yell like Hell skits to demonstrate their school spirit and the homecoming tradition at Iowa State.

Wendy Cardwell

Shouts, stomps and cheers rumbled throughout Central Campus Wednesday night as paint-covered students danced through the second round of cuts for Yell Like Hell.

Yell Like Hell has been a tradition for the past 52 years at Iowa State University. First round of cuts this year started with 12 pairings, which is one less than the usual 13 pairings because one pairing dropped out.

Homecoming fell on an earlier date this year, causing Yell Like Hell practice to start the first week of school. The participants practice Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nights for about two hours. This gives them 15 practices before first cuts.

First cuts were held Sunday, Oct. 5. Seven pairings moved on after Sunday. The pairings that moved on were able to practice Monday and Tuesday before second cuts on Wednesday.

The chapters choose their theme based on books or movies. Performances also incorporate Iowa State University history and special for this year: Cy’s 60th birthday.

The Yell Like Hell second cuts schedule included “The Cyclone Mix-Up,” “The ExCYtment of Love,” “A Pirate’s Life for Me,” “Cy’s Tangled Past,” “Dora’s Cyclone Adventure,” “Monsters University” and “The ReCYrment Plan.”

“A great part about Yell Like Hell is getting to know my sisters better in a different atmosphere,” said Sydney Hill, sophomore, in animal science and member of Pi Beta Phi sorority.

The judges base their criteria on yell and expression, movement and precision, pep and enthusiasm, portrayal of Homecoming theme, creativity and uniqueness and incorporation of improvisational phrase.

Students also drench themselves with colorful paint to further tell their stories.

“Iowa State University is unique in the way that no other school paints themselves during second and final cuts,” said Tyler Cahill, junior in psychology, and one of the Yell Like Hell coordinators.

Before the teams go on stage, they get a chance to practice with a silent run-through. Then 10 to 15 minutes before they perform, they are given a random line which they somehow have to include into their skit. Their skits have to be less than five minutes and thirty seconds.

“Creativity and uniqueness stand out during Yell Like Hell, which is going to get the team more points,” Cahill said.

The winning pairing of Yell Like Hell receives a trophy and points that boost their homecoming score.

“My favorite part of Yell Like Hell would be camaraderie and the school spirit it forms,” said Matt Huhner, freshman in journalism and mass communications and member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

The three skits performing in the finals are: “Cy’s Tangled Past,” “The ReCYrment Plan,” and “Dora’s Cyclone Adventure.”

Final cuts are Friday, Oct. 10, at the Alumni Center lot after the pep rally. The three top placing teams will perform 11:30 a.m Saturday before the Homecoming game during the alumni tailgate.