Ag Career Day grows by 42 employers

The Ag and Life Sciences Career Day was held Oct. 15, 2013 at the Lied Rec Center. From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., students had the opportunity to meet with over fifty employers relating to agriculture and life sciences. 

Chrissy Dittmer

It’s the largest in the nation. Iowa State’s Ag Career Day has grown from 176 employers in 2011 to 267 employers this year, which is the largest it’s ever been.

The fair will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 14 at Lied Recreation Athletic Center.

“I think the best way to put it is really pretty special,” said Mike Gaul, director of career services in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

Up 42 employers from last year, the largest agricultural career fair in the country is largely due to the students in the college, Gaul said.

“We have great students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences,” he said.

Mary Wiedenhoeft, professor of agronomy and learning community coordinator, agreed. Wiedenhoeft said some companies dropped other career fairs in the recession but Iowa State didn’t.

The Ag Career Day is not only known to have a large number of interested employers but also a wide variety of companies. With 26 different majors in the college, differences in size and scope of employers can be seen throughout the fair.

Last year, there were 92 different majors went to the event and students from 18 other schools also attended, Gaul said.

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences has stated on its website that the placement rate of students recently graduated from the college has been 97 percent or higher for 17 consecutive years. This career day can help students early in their careers become comfortable and confident when talking with potential employers, Wiedenhoeft said.

“We even want our freshmen to go,” said Jodi Sterle, associate professor in animal science. 

Sterle said by attending these events during freshmen and sophomore years, students learn what to expect and have the opportunity to practice career fair etiquette early on.

This year’s career fair will also host new attractions, including a LinkedIn photo booth where a professional photo can be taken and emailed to you for your LinkedIn profile and a live radio broadcast from WHO Radio’s The Big Show from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. from the floor of Lied.

Wiedenhoeft gave tips for those going to the fair, including doing homework on the companies, dressing professionally, updating resumes, leaving gum and phones at home, being confident, shaking hands and avoiding collecting “swag” from employers.

Gaul said these events are great for networking as well, so collecting business cards from companies gives students a good way to build connections.

“Also, ask if they’re interviewing tomorrow,” Gaul said.

Many employers will have interviews in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union on Oct. 15, the day after the fair. As companies fill these spots quickly, Gaul says it may be beneficial to attend early.

In the end, these career fairs could not happen without the employers who maintain relationships with the college, Sterle says.

“It is truly amazing the relationship we have with our employers,” she said. “That’s not found everywhere.”