Students encouraged to register, vote early at the MU

Makayla Tendall

Students will have the opportunity to vote early and register to vote at the Memorial Union this week. 

The Story County Auditor will have a booth set up in the Pride Lounge on Oct. 13-17 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in an effort to make voting easier for students. To register or vote early, students do not need proof of address. 

Zoe Kustritz, president of ISU Dems, said the Story County Auditor learned from the 2012 elections when election day voting lines were crowded for hours and has decided to change things for the Nov. 4 midterm elections. 

“This is really special. This doesn’t happen.” Kustritz said. 

Both Kustritz and Jonathon Laudner, president of ISU College Republicans, said they are relieved to have familiar places that encourage students to vote.

“Putting the office on campus helps the organizations on campus push students to the polls,” Laudner said. “Both parties ignore what young Americans want—especially college kids. They don’t see us as a big enough bloc of the voting population to really care a whole lot. I think the way we fix that is by becoming a bigger portion of the voting bloc.”

Kustritz said it is disappointing to hear students complain about the government but not take the time to vote. 

“A lot of students are really critical. If you see problems, use your voice to change them. The best way that works is voting,” Kustritz said. 

Students can vote at any of the following locations before Nov. 4, as well. 

Hy-Vee West

Oct. 18 and Oct. 25

10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Hy-Vee East

Oct. 18 and Oct. 25

10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Collegiate Methodist Church

Oct. 18

10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.