Nelson finishes first, ISU women’s cross country team third at Wisconsin Adidas Invitational

Crystal Nelson, left, races to a third-place finish at last year’s Roy Griak Invitational.

Kyle Heim

Junior Crystal Nelson stole the show at the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational for Iowa State by finishing first overall at the event.

Nelson’s top spot in the standings helped Iowa State earn back-to-back top-three finishes at invitationals. Nelson led the way for the Cyclones in her seventh consecutive race, dating back to last season.

Redshirt senior Katy Moen added another top-five finish for Iowa State, placing fifth overall with a time of 19:43. Moen ends the regular season with two consecutive top-five finishes.

Graduate student Margaret Connelly was the third runner to cross the finish line for Iowa State, placing 24th. She was followed by sophomore Perez Rotich and redshirt freshman Erin Hooker. The fourth and fifth runners for Iowa State finished 79th and 103rd, respectively.

Redshirt sophomore Taylor McDowell replaced sophomore Bethanie Brown and was the sixth ISU runner to finish, placing 152nd. Redshirt junior Colleen Riley ended her race 172nd overall.

Iowa State will begin post-season competition on Nov. 1 when the team travels to Lawrence, Kan. to compete in the Big 12 Championships.