Iowa State participates in National Campus Sustainability Day

Miranda Cantrell/Iowa State Daily

Rebecca Clay, junior in global resource systems, talks to students about organic farming during Sustainability Day in front of Parks Library on Wednesday, Oct. 23. Clay is a member of the ISU Student Organic Farm, a campus club that uses organic farming methods and seeks to increase community awareness and support of local food systems.

Lauren Lee

From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday, October 22, Iowa State University is participating in National Campus Sustainability Day,  a nationwide initiative to recognize, celebrate and inspire people to be a part of sustainable and green living.

The event is being hosted by Live Green!, the Office of Sustainability on campus and the Green Umbrella, a student-run club involved in seeing their campus engage in green activities as well.

According to Tony Behnke, a junior in agricultural and life sciences education and engagement intern for Live Green!, “The Green Umbrella have invited over 25 organizations within Iowa State and the Ames community to come showcase their sustainability efforts.”

ISU Dining will participating in this event as well by having a display on site along with their “Farmer” stand where participants can take their picture to show their support. ISU Dining will be showcasing their use of food from local farms and producers in the Ames community.

The event will take place in the green space in front of the Parks Library on the free-speech zone sidewalk. Students, faculty, staff and community members are welcome to come check out the displays and talk with Live Green!, the Green Umbrella and other participating organizations on how they can get involved in helping make Ames and Iowa State more sustainable.

A big step in the sustainability effort is being self-sustaining.

“Personal sustainability makes a huge difference in helping sustainability initiatives,” said Merry Rankin, adviser to the Green Umbrella and faculty member with the Office of Sustainability.

By sustaining oneself through healthy eating and living as well as participating in green lifestyle choices, people can help the sustainability effort in simple ways. Eating locally grown foods helps support local farmers and producers in the Ames community by being more sustainable in how they manage their resources. From the farm to the table is a great sustainability effort that is easy for Ames community members to get involved with. ISU Dining also supports local famers and consumers for students on campus.

National Campus Sustainability Day is to celebrate all that this initiative has accomplished thus far as well as offering students, faculty and community members the opportunity to get in touch with the different organizations involved with this project.

“Just by coming to the event, even just to stop by a couple tables to learn just a couple things about how the Iowa State Community is sustainable and also how by just doing the little things, how big of an impact you can have on this world and your community. It really is marvelous the little things just one person can do,” said Behnke.