Changes proposed to ISU Student Code of Conduct

Photo: Screenshot of the ISU Student Code of Conduct

Proposed changes to the ISU Student Code of Conduct are available on the Iowa State website.

Kassi Manternach

A proposed change to the Student Conduct Code would reclassify violations of the Student Disciplinary Regulations from major and minor, to Level 1 and Level 2.

The university is proposing the change because of the misconception that minor offenses were not serious offenses, and they were not always being taken as seriously as they should be.

“Both students and faculty found it to be confusing,” said Sara Kellogg, program coordinator in the dean of students’ office.

In the new draft of the Student Conduct Code, a Level 1 case is defined as any violation of the Student Disciplinary Regulations which may result in a sanction up to and including suspension or expulsion.

A Level 2 case is defined as any violation of the Student Disciplinary Regulations which may result in a sanction up to and including deferred suspension. Level 2 cases cannot result in a student being suspended or expelled from the institution.

Stalking was also added to the new draft of the Student Conduct Code. Stalking is defined as engaging in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to fear for his or her safety or the safety of others; or suffer substantial emotional distress.

“I think these changes will help students understand the policy better,” said Hannah Swift, freshman in sociology.