Iowa State heads to Des Moines for the 114th Drake Relays

Sam Petri
Director of Track & Field/Cross Country Jeremy Sudbury encourages Rachel Joseph to keep pushing during the women’s 200m dash at the Cyclone Open event on Jan. 19, 2024.

The Cyclones travel to Des Moines, Iowa, to compete in one of the biggest meets of the season: The Drake Relays. The Drake Relays and the Blue Oval are synonymous with greatness, especially in Iowa.

Over the weekend, the Cyclones dominated the John McDonnell Invitational. The Cyclones had a great showing, winning and placing near the top in most events.

In the women’s discus throw, Betty Rosvold placed first overall with a throw of 50.30 meters, and Kevin Sakson placed first overall in the men’s discus throw with a throw of 55.51 meters.

Gable Sieperda performed well in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a new personal best time of 8:26.58, breaking the program record by five seconds and ranking fourth in the nation. Sieperda’s time hit the automatic Olympic Trials qualifying standard.

The Cyclones will be competing against some of the best teams in the Midwest. The Cyclones will face Kentucky, whose last meet had two freshmen set school records, and Purdue who has been flying under the radar so far this season. The Boilermakers have multiple people who own school records, as well as Zoe Sullivan who just cracked the top-10 rankings for hurdles.

Along with those schools, Iowa State also takes on Nebraska, who placed first in four different events in its meet last weekend, and Illinois, who won three events over the weekend. The Cyclones will also take on in-state rival Northern Iowa, who has struggled so far this outdoor season.

The Cyclones will have their work cut out for them.

The Drake Relays will start Wednesday and run through Saturday in Des Moines, Iowa.