Travel review: Cloudy SoCal is the place to go for shopping, surfing and good food

The Sunset Cliffs in San Diego, California
Annika Trost

Despite the clouds in the sky and the brisk mid-April air, my first time in California was one to remember. The state has an extensive array of things to offer. While mostly exploring the coast of Southern California I got to experience the coastal beach life and visit multiple beach towns on my way. Other than visiting the inland cities of San Diego and Los Angeles, we stopped at Imperial Beach, Coronado, La Jolla and San Clemente.  

Coronado

The beach town of Coronado offered a blissful afternoon full of perfectly curated shops and restaurants that attracted the eye. To start the day, we tried a delicious iced latte from the famous coffee shop Better Buzz. As we walked around the town, enjoying the only bit of sun the weekend had to offer, we meandered into high-end boutiques, cardstock stores and my personal favorite, the Thrift Cottage. California thrifts consist of dresses, sweaters and a whole lot of wet suits, not something you’d find very often in Iowa. Overall, Coronado would be a sweet escape for a family or a weekend getaway with your sweetheart. After gathering a pressed penny and some beautifully designed postcards, it was on to the next town.

La Jolla

As I stepped out of the car in La Jolla, the lingering scent of something gross hit my nose. I walked up to the coast’s edge and was pleasantly surprised by the sight of hundreds of seals lounging on the rocks below. The stench suddenly became more bearable. La Jolla is positioned on the side of a hill, which gives its palm trees an extra magical feel and elicits a natural exercise for anyone who dares to walk through it. At the bottom of the hill, visitors are greeted by a large open patch of green grass where people are sunbathing, children are running and the bubble man is blowing massive bubbles into the air where they float all around. Of course, in the distance, you can still hear the seals cooing away all day. All these things together make for a magical atmosphere where it’s obvious that people come from all different corners of the world to experience it for themselves.

San Clemente

The third beach town, San Clemente, is known for its Mexican-style architecture with clay terra cotta roofs and a plethora of surf shops. The people were welcoming, the views were amazing and the beach was beautifully kept. After a long walk down the boardwalk, we enjoyed a scrumptious meal of shrimp tacos at Sancho’s Tacos. Sancho’s Tacos is a family-owned Mexican-style restaurant chain located throughout California. If you happen to stumble upon one of these restaurants while in California, do not hesitate to walk in. You won’t regret it.

In the span of four days in southern California, I experienced a handful of different coffee shops, each with its own unique atmosphere, roasters and drinks. My personal favorite remains Herst Coffee Roasters located in Newport Beach. The baristas are dedicated, the coffee is delicious and the apparent array of usual customers is a testament to its community culture. 

Having spent four full days in southern California visiting five beach towns and two cities and taking in the views along the famous Pacific Coast Highway, I still have only seen a sliver of what the state offers. National parks, vineyards, famous bridges, forests and cities populate the northern and central regions. If you’re looking for a relaxing beach vacation that also encompasses shopping, surfing and good eats, southern California will not let you down.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500