Magic City Hippies to bring indie funk to the M-Shop

Photo courtesy of SUB

Magic City Hippies is an indie funk band formed in Miami. They will perform songs from their latest album, “Modern Animal,” at the Maintenance Shop on Thursday.

Margaret Troup

Magic City Hippies will be performing with supporting act LUTHI at The Maintenance Shop on Thursday at 8p.m.

Magic City Hippies is a hip-hop, funk and pop band that has been active since 2013 with the release of their self-titled debut album. “Magic City Hippies”  includes popular songs such as “Corazón” and indie blog hits ”Hard On Me” and “BUST.”

Originally starting off as a one-man-band with Robby Hunter, the band now consists of lead singer Hunter, guitarist John Coughlin, and drummer Pat Howard. 

The band started off somewhat controversially in its beginning months by rocking the world of Miami police a little too hard. Through noise complaints and accusations of stealing electricity, Hunter was given an ultimatum by Miami police. Cease and desist from party performances or get a gig at a “real bar,” according to the Student Union Board’s website. 

At their concert Thursday, Magic City Hippies will be playing songs from their newly released album, “Modern Animal.” Consisting of eleven songs, “Modern Animal” is sure to hold at least one tune that appeals to everyone. 

The band’s songs have been described as lesser known genres such as psyche-rap and breezy pop. Their EP’s may be right up the alley for fans of similar bands such as Gorillaz, Hippo Campus, and Ra Ra Riot. 

Hunter takes his music very seriously, as seen in how he has let Magic City Hippies affect his life.

“We’ve been touring for three years,” Hunter says. “The album has a lot to do with the toll it’s taken on our relationships and lives.” Due to his involvement in the band, Hunter was fired from his full-time job and ended a relationship of over eight years.

The M-Shop will surely be the place to be Thursday night, according to Hunter himself.

“We’re always out to entertain people,” Hunter said. “People are oriented towards staying out all night. Anything you do has to make them dance.”

“Modern Animal” is projected to dub Magic City Hippies as one of streaming’s most popular indie bands, and they’ll be taking their live performances to major festivals like Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo and BottleRock, along with plenty of North American headline gigs through 2020. 

Tickets are available online on the Student Union Board’s website for $16. An additional fee will be added for those buying tickets online. An additional $2 will be added to ticket prices on the day of the concert. Tickets are $12 at the door with a student ID.