Schmidt, Willer connection pays off in points for ISU soccer

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Sophomore forward Koree Willer scored the first goal during the game against Saint Louis on Aug. 31 at the Cyclone Sports Complex. The Cyclones defeated the Billikens 2-1.

Chris Wolff

Coming into the soccer season, sophomore Koree Willer knew what her role on the team would be this season and it can be described with one word: attacker.

Willer led the team in assists last season as a freshman and is also the top goal scorer returning for the Cyclones this season. After losing the top two goal scorers from a year ago, Willer knew the pressure would be on her to lead the ISU attack.

So far, Willer has delivered. Against St. Louis last weekend, she scored her third goal in four matches this season. Willer was assisted by sophomore Adalie Schmidt on the play.

In the second half of the match, Willer decided to repay the favor as she assisted Schmidt on a goal of her own. The duo has been a solid attacking combination — the two are tied for most goals on the team this season with three a piece.

“I really liked what Adalie and Koree did connecting and they really pushed hard to get those goals so that was nice,” ISU coach Tony Minatta said after Aug. 31’s win.

The versatility of both sophomore forwards being able to score and assist has provided the Cyclones with confidence and camaraderie.

“It definitely helps my confidence to know that I can take players on and I can do more than just assist — that I can make the goals too,” Willer said. “But I think having the support of the teams and the runs I’ve been able to play, thats huge, too.”

Schmidt said the ability to score or assist comes from the trust she has in the ability of her teammates. When she is in an attacking position, she feels comfortable dishing it off to a teammate or taking it all the way herself, she said.

“It’s good to know that I have the support of Koree [Willer], [Hayley] Womack, and Kaley [Nieters],” Schmidt said. “When I get up there, if I can’t make the shot, I have them to lay it off to and I know they can hit the goals.” 

While Willer was an integral part of the team last season as a freshman, Schmidt spent most of her freshman season on the bench dealing with injury troubles.

Now the sophomore duo has provided the bulk of the attack in recent matches after forward Maribell Morales sustained an injury, forcing Schmidt into the starting lineup. 

Morales was expected to be a top goal scorer for the team, but Schmidt has proven to be capable of carrying the load along with Willer until Morales is healthy again.

Minatta said that he expects Morales to be back in about two weeks after starting an “aggressive” rehab this week.

Minatta praised Schmidt’s play in recent matches as she has filled the void that was created by Morales’ injury.

“Adalie has been great,” Minatta said. “It’s the little things that Adalie does, its not necessarily even what she’s doing with the assists or the goals, but it’s her defensive work, getting back, disrupting their play.”