Guest column: Bike sharing would solve ISU overcrowding

The ISU bike share program idea began in fall 2012 from multiple sources, including students and other Big 12 student governments. Spencer Hughes, former president of the Government of the Student Body, and I campaigned on bringing bike share to Iowa State in spring 2013. Collaborative exploration of the initiative by the GSB legislative and executive branches began a little more than a year ago, but we really gained ground and tangible action when the industrial design department had a studio course focused on designing a custom bike share program for Iowa State.

By May 2014, industrial design students had collaborated to design three unique bicycle prototypes, each with a different look and feel. This fall, the focus is on producing two completely workable prototypes that have the ability to be scaled up if Iowa State decides to implement the program. Other major work will include an overall assessment of feasibility, including bicycle checkout locations, bicycle safety, the user experience and integration into campus infrastructure. Students from multiple disciplines — industrial design, mechanical engineering and community and regional planning — are collaborating to take bike share program research to the next level. 

This collaborative research and innovative approach couldn’t come at a better time. As students, we are feeling the pressures of increased enrollment. We can see the students who watch as CyRide buses drive by because they are already full. We can see the full tables and long lines in the Memorial Union during lunch. We can see the full sidewalks, full computer labs and full library. Two weeks into classes, a noticeable buzz of conversation about enrollment and the problems it is creating — especially in infrastructure — is grabbing my attention, the Government of the Student Body’s attention and administrative attention. It’s time for a new approach, an innovative solution. 

I believe the research being done now can determine if a bike share program is that solution. I think research and a full feasibility study is an integral part of determining if this student-led initiative will be the answer for Iowa State. I also think that a bike share program has strong potential to be a part of the solution to on-campus congestion.

Sixty percent of the traffic on campus is CyRide buses, and they often follow one after another. Pedestrians often walk in front of the buses as bicycles zoom by. We have the same infrastructure to get students to and around campus as we had 10,000 students ago. We need bike lanes. We need bicyclists to ride on the sidewalk. We need to limit vehicle traffic on campus to ensure everyone stays safe. We need to reduce the number of students bringing bicycles to campus. We need to ensure CyRide is meeting the needs of students. 

Over time, a bike share program would reduce the number of bicycles students would bring to campus. It would create another student choice for public transportation beyond CyRide. If CyRide routes on campus need to change, a bike share program could fill the need for transportation from one corner to the other. A program would invest student fees into a project that has the potential to benefit thousands of students rather than a select few.  A bike share program would provide another opportunity for us to engage in wellness because it would be easy to grab a bike and go for a ride with friends. A bike share program can be an innovative student-led, student-designed solution. A solution for the students and by the students has my support, and I hope it has yours, too.