Cross country freshmen attempt to transfer high school success to college level

Freshmen Olivia Robertson and Evelyne Guay, the newest members of the ISU women’s cross country team, pose together on the track in Lied Recreation Athletic Center.

Kyle Heim

The ISU women’s cross country team has added to its bulky roster this season by adding Canadian recruits Evelyne Guay and Olivia Robertson.

The pair of runners arrived in Ames with numerous achievements from their high school careers. They will look to duplicate their success for the Cyclones in the coming years.

Guay won the 800-meter race at the Ontario Provincial High School Championships. She has personal bests of 57.04 seconds in the 400-meter, 2 minutes, 09.91 seconds in the 800-meter, and 4:47.79 in the 1500-meter.

Robertson recorded two top-five finishes at the 2013 Ontario Provincial High School Championships, placing third in the 3000-meter and fifth in the 1500-meter.

Guay isn’t expected to compete for Iowa State until the indoor track season begins while Robertson isn’t expected to make major contributions for the team until next season as she is recovering from injuries. Both runners are redshirting this year.