ISU men’s basketball players shine in Capital City League games

Brian Achenbach/Iowa State Daily

Junior forward Dustin Hogue goes up against fellow junior forward Daniel Edozie during the Cyclones’ open practice on March 27 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Max Dible

WEST DES MOINES, IOWA — If any ISU basketball players struggle out of the gate in the 2014-15 regular season, it will not be because of a lack of summer conditioning.

The pace was hectic, if not chaotic, on June 25 at the YMCA Capital City League as nine Cyclones participated across three different games in which frenetic offense made up for a lack of defensive stability.

The individual matchup of the night came in the second game when Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Atlantic, led by junior Dustin Hogue, squared off against Walnut Creek YMCA and the now-eligible Marquette transfer Jameel McKay, a redshirt junior.

Hogue dominated around the hoop in the first half, playing most of his game in the paint and above the rim.

McKay answered in the second half with hyperactivity on the boards, which was frequently followed up by strong, iron-bending finishes.

Both big men got out and ran the floor, electrifying the crowd at Valley Southwoods Freshman High School in West Des Moines, which was packed to the brim for the first two games.

The two players also showed a glimpse of what ISU practices might have looked like last year as they played competitively but shared a great rapport, smiling and joking between plays and after foul calls and even earning a few laughs from the crowd with their antics on the floor.

Hogue dropped 21 points to McKay’s 20, but McKay grabbed 16 boards, getting the better of Hogue who only nabbed six rebounds.

Redshirt sophomore Sherron Dorsey-Walker led the Coca-Cola team with 25 points, but it was not enough to stop Walnut Creek as sophomore transfer Hallice Cooke joined the party in a big way in the second half, firing off eight straight points to propel his team to a double-digit lead that it would not relinquish.

Cooke, the former Oregon State Beaver who will sit out next season due to NCAA eligibility rules, drained five 3s to lead Walnut Creek with 31 points.

Cooke and McKay, neither of whom has seen a single minute for the Cyclones in a regular season game, exited the floor with a few minutes remaining after giving ISU fans a taste of the explosive talent head coach Fred Hoiberg has added to the roster during the past two years.

With a gigantic lead for Walnut Creek and the game already decided, the last minute or so became a high-flying dunk contest, which garnered substantial approval from a vocal crowd.

Walnut Creek won the game 124-99, despite the score being tied 51-51 at halftime.

The initial game of the night featured ISU sophomores Matt Thomas and Monte Morris suiting up for Adio Chiropractic and combining to score 59 points despite the two shooting a collective 5-20 from behind the arc.

The pair of ISU backcourt players took on Renaissance Granite and Quartz, which leaned heavily on 32 big points from ISU junior Kourtlin Jackson.

Jackson played explosively in the absence of teammate Georges Niang, who is currently attending a basketball camp in New York.

Jackson navigated his way to the hoop off the dribble on several occasions, sometimes easily around Thomas, but he struggled to finish at the rim in traffic despite his dynamic leaping ability.

That was not the case for Morris on the other side, who was easily the quickest and smoothest player on the floor the entire evening, finishing expertly in the paint and shooting an impressive 10-13 from inside the arc.

It was Thomas, however, coming off of a couple of difficult weeks which saw him get arrested for an OWI, who led the team in scoring with 30 points. Thomas was highly active on both ends of the floor and grabbed 13 big rebounds for Adio.

Adio led for the majority of the game, often by double digits, but Granite closed the gap late, taking a two-point lead with just over two minutes left to play.

At roughly the 25 second mark, Morris was stuffed by Jackson in the lane on a shot that would have given Adio a lead. After a foul and one made free throw for Granite, Adio had the basketball with 15 seconds left and down by two.

There was never a doubt about who would take the final shot in regulation, as Morris took the inbound pass and casually brought the ball up despite the situation.

With five seconds left, Morris darted to his right around two defenders and finished at the hoop with one tick left on the clock to tie the score at 111-111 and send the contest into a two-minute overtime period.

Thomas had five big points in overtime as Adio pulled away, winning the game 122-118.

The third and final game of the evening was played between Phoenix Renewable Resources and Capital Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

There were fewer ISU athletes in the night’s last contest as junior Naz Long missed the game for Phoenix due to an injury and redshirt junior Abdel Nader was not in attendance for Capital.

In their absences, senior Daniel Edozie and freshman Clayton Custer stepped up to represent the Cyclones in impressive fashion.

Edozie dropped 22 points and put up a monstrous effort on the glass, grabbing 27 rebounds.

Not to be outdone, Clayton Custer splashed seven 3s on his way to 45 points for Capital, shooting at a 70 percent clip from beyond the arc and carrying Capital to a 125-120 comeback win.

Capital City League games will continue until July 15 with the next set of games scheduled for June 27 at Valley Southwoods in West Des Moines. The first contest between Adio and Capital will tip off at 5:30 p.m. Admission is free to the public.