Freshmen find new home with baseball club

Noah Cary/Iowa State Daily

Justin Kelm, Matt Odland and Troy Kettwick, freshman on the club baseball team at Iowa State, prepare for practice at Cap Timm Field on April 15.

Kyle Heim

Tee-ball in the backyard to hardball at Cap Timm is a journey shared by three freshmen on the ISU club baseball team.

Freshmen Justin Kelm, Matt Odland, and Troy Kettwick have added youth to a club packed with veterans. Of the 30 players listed on the team’s roster this season, 11 are juniors and six are seniors.

The three freshmen said either family or friends who also played college baseball helped capture their interest in trying out for the team.

“I knew a couple of kids who had played club at other schools, and I knew Iowa State had a team,” Odland, catcher and infielder, said. “I just felt like trying out, and ended up making the team. I’ve always wanted to play for Iowa State.”

The trio said the experienced players have helped guide them since the start of the season.

“I’ve gotten a lot of help from some of the pitchers,” Kettwick, a pitcher and outfielder, said. “We have some pretty experienced pitchers on the team. They just kind of critique me and give me some pointers on what I can change, and how I can get a little more movement on pitches.”

The freshmen have endured many changes during the transition from high school baseball to club ball at Iowa State.

“It’s a lot older guys that you’re dealing with, a lot stronger arms, especially from the outfield and the mound,” Kelm said.

Along with stronger competition, the payers have also experienced a change in schedule. After playing every day during a two-month span in high school, they are playing a four-game series every weekend now at Iowa State.

“Even though it’s club baseball, people still get excited to play,” Kettwick said. “There’s probably [Division III] or some even [Division II] competition that you’re playing against here, so it’s been a lot of fun playing against these guys.”

Spring break this year provided the young players a chance to get to know each other and play together in Florida.

“Our Spring Break trip really helped bond with the team, and everybody’s getting along real well,” Odland said. “It’s just a fun type of baseball atmosphere.”

The team is 4-2 in the Mid-America North Conference so far this season, and will host a four-game series this weekend against Minnesota State. Iowa State will return to the road for the final series of their season against Northern Iowa next Saturday.