Ames Silversmithing_Best Jeweler

Ames Silversmithing

Best Jeweler

What sets your business apart?

“Our business is unique. Most jewelry store are simply buyers/sellers of jewelry where at Ames Silversmithing, we have 5 artists who design and create jewelry every day. In addition, Ames Silversmithing has perhaps the finest selection of loose colored stones and diamonds in the state! We design and create jewelry in not only silver, but gold and platinum as well.”

How does it feel to be voted the best?

“To be voted the Best Jeweler is sweet validation and so rewarding. We take great measures to ensure our customers receive spectacular service second-to-none and that the jewelry they buy from us is made to the highest quality standards.”

How long have you been in business?

“Ames Silversmithing opened in 1976 with Gary and Karen Youngberg as the owners. Gary and Karen welcomed their sons, Kyle and Kirk into the business about 12 years ago and along with the 5 other full-time employees, continue to offer quality jewelry, great prices and a selection that will astound!”

What is your favorite ISU tradition?

“Campaniling, of course!!!”

Why did you start your business?

“I decided to open Ames Silversmithing after becoming disenchanted with college. I had a year at Iowa followed by a year at Iowa State but simply found little value in my experience. I had always liked rocks so, after checking a few books out of the library, I actually taught myself how to silversmith and, well, here we are 37 years later!”

What would you like to say to your students?

“Buying a diamond or a fine piece of jewelry is easy, knowing what you bought is not. So many jewelry stores offer “false” discounts to their customers to make the customer feel like they got a real “deal” while in actuality, the stores have simply marked up their prices in order to give the illusion of a discount. When was the last time you saw gas “offered for $7/gallon and then “on sale” for $3.50/gallon? You NEVER have because everyone knows a gallon of gas is not $7! But jewelry is a tough item to compare and many stores take advantage of that fact. At Ames Silversmithing, we offer straightforward, honest and fair pricing with an attention to detail seldom seen in today’s world. No phony sales, no pie in the sky claims, just good, honest VALUE day in and day out! Please stop in a see what we are all about here at Ames Silversmithing!”