ISU swimmers gear up for rematch with Nebraska at Kansas Invitational

Mid. Distance swimmer Karyl Clarete powers through the final leg of the 1,000 meter Freestyle. Clarete would go on to take first with a finishing time of 10:11.15.

Chris Wolff

The ISU swimming team will get a rare opportunity this coming weekend. After finishing in an unusual tie to kick off the season, against Nebraska-Lincoln, the team will get another crack at the Cornhuskers.

This time around, however, it won’t be just between the two teams, as the rematch will be a part of the Kansas Invitational, which will also feature Air Force, Kansas, Northern Iowa and Nebraska-Omaha also competing.

This will be the first invitational meet for Iowa State (3-1-1, 0-1 Big 12), after competing in five dual meets to begin the season.

“We are excited to get another go at them, and I’m sure there excited to get after us too,” said ISU coach Duane Sorenson about meeting up with Nebraska-Lincoln for the second time this season.

The invitational format differs from the dual meet format that the Cyclones have grown accustomed to so far this season.

Dual meets usually last under two hours, whereas the Kanas Invitational will be three days long. Also, the swimmers will have to swim preliminary races in each event, before swimming in finals races for each event.

Sorenson noted that team depth has a big impact on who will come away with the victory at the invitational, as the top 16 finishers in each event are awarded points towards the team’s overall score.

A major benefit of swimming an invitational format event during the season is that it helps sets the up for the post season, as the Big 12 Championships are an invitational style event.

Sorenson said this is a good experience for his team, especially for the freshmen, who have swum swum dual meets in their college careers so far.

“Being a freshman, I’m really excited for this new experience,” said freshman Savanna Townsend, who said she has swum only four invitational events in her entire life. “I think it will be high intensity and high energy, and I think that will help us perform better.”

After racing only dual meets up to this point in the season, the team is welcoming the change.

“It’s pretty different from what we have been doing,” said fellow freshman Karyl Clarete, who primarily raced invitational formats in Canada prior to coming to Iowa State. “I think everyone is pretty excited just because it’s something different.”

Sorenson said the meet should be competitive with Air Force being stronger in freestyle events, Kansas being stronger at distance events, Iowa State being stronger in breaststroke events, and Nebraska being stronger in the butterfly events.

“On paper, the top four teams are just going to be in a dog fight,” Sorenson said. “We could win the meet or we could swim outstanding and still finish fourth. “