The SHOP plans Thanksgiving mobile event

Kirsten Mancosky/Iowa State Daily

The Mobile SHOP is a traveling extension of the on-campus food pantry. This semester’s Mobile SHOP will feature free, prepackaged, Thanksgiving-themed food bags for students.

Students Helping Our Peers (The SHOP), a student-run food pantry on campus, will continue its outreach efforts this fall by setting up Mobile SHOP 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 15., at the Schilletter and University Village apartments.

The SHOP was founded back in January 2011 when a group of transfer students studying food science and human nutrition were approached about the possibility of starting an on-campus food pantry. After talking with other university food pantries, finding a location and receiving funding from the Government of the Student Body, The SHOP was created.

Since opening in 2011, The SHOP has expanded its hours of operation and has seen an increase in both the number of students utilizing The SHOP as well as volunteer involvement.

“We’ve definitely been growing and have more people coming in,” said Andrew Doherty, president of The SHOP and senior in dietetics. “We are a resource here that is easily accessible for students to be able to get that supplemental food. We also provide volunteer experience and leadership experience for Iowa State students as well.”

The SHOP is now open from 3 to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday in 2616 Food Sciences Building.

This semester’s Mobile SHOP will feature free, prepackaged, Thanksgiving-themed food bags including stuffing mix, apple cider/hot chocolate packets, cranberry juice, green bean casserole ingredients, a seasonal desert and fresh produce from the ISU Horticulture Station.

Mobile SHOP, a traveling extension of the on-campus food pantry, was launched in April. It was created in order to increase outreach efforts and provide students living off-campus with a food resource they can use.

All ISU students are encouraged to pick up a free food bag and learn more about The SHOP’s involvement on campus.

“Our ultimate goal is to provide meals for students to help them get through Thanksgiving break while we’re not open,” Doherty said. “I hope that just having this one special event will promote the services of The SHOP and all that we provide.”

The SHOP is looking to set up another Mobile SHOP event in the spring of 2014. They are hoping to increase off-campus outreach efforts in addition to continuing to generate awareness and utilization of The SHOP.