Editorial: Iowa State should shed light on campus safety

Leah Stasieluk/Iowa State Daily

With the days getting shorter and the night temperatures dropping, there is nothing more terrifying that finding yourself alone on campus late at night.

You’re on campus in the middle of the night. It’s dark and you’re all alone, with nearly 500 acres of campus surrounding you. The buildings you pass are shrouded in darkness and threaten to swallow you up; every sound sends shivers up your spine. You check constantly over your shoulder, wondering if you truly are alone on the sidewalk.

This is a constant issue for students at any university, and Iowa State works especially hard to keep our university grounds as safe as possible. There are large areas of campus that are well lit, adding comfort with having some light while walking home late at night. There are also multiple emergency phones, 17 to be exact, scattered across central campus, around Jack Trice Stadium and at the College of Veterinary Medicine.

However, there are still several areas of campus that could use a little more light. We took a walk around campus late at night and found that there are some pretty dark areas around campus. After a late-night club meeting or intramural game, even the bravest campus walkers will pick up their pace to make it home a little faster.

The green space south of Parks Library, near the Student Services Building, could certainly use some more light. The sidewalk between Coover Hall, Snedecor and Atanasoff Halls is not only extremely dark, but we’d suggest another emergency telephone for that corner of campus. And finally, the sidewalk that runs behind the Knoll, next to the creek is one of the darkest places on campus and has no emergency phone even close to it.

Some students also park their vehicles at Jack Trice Stadium then make the trek through the commuter lot to their dorm. Though this walk is fairly well lit, there is a substantial amount of land to cover with no easily accessible emergency phone. Buses are available in this area, but their frequency depends on the time of night. Other than walking, the help van is really the most reliable option.

It could be said that students should just work to avoid walking in these areas. But each year new students may not be quite as aware of which paths to avoid, and a night out always has a way of inhibiting the judgment of even the most responsible students.

The university needs to consider adding more light posts and emergency telephones to these areas to make our lives a little easier — and a lot safer. The Government of the Student Body could also take the initiative to further this proposal, ensuring that our campus is well-lit and non-threatening to its students.

Our university needs to continue being vigilant in its efforts to make students feel safe in their environment at all times of the day and night. But at the same time, students must do the same.

Know which direction you plan to take on the way home if you know you are going to be out late. Try to walk with a friend as often as possible, and if you are walking alone, make sure you have someone who is aware you are walking home and is waiting for your call when you get to your destination safely.

Just remember, campus safety is a shared responsibility. But adding a little light wouldn’t hurt either.