Ciara Capezio making big impact for volleyball in freshman year

Hayley Hochstetler/Iowa State Daily

True freshman Ciara Capezio had a team leading 22 kills in Iowa State’s 3-2 win against Northern Iowa on Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013.

Clint Cole

Every year, college volleyball teams have freshman players come in and hope to be able to contribute even just a little bit to their teams in their very first season at the Division I level. ISU freshman Ciara Capezio, however, has been a big presence for the Cyclones so far this season.

The outside hitter from Williams Bay, Wis., has been putting up big numbers with 2.94 kills per set, which ranks second on the team behind Mackenzie Bigbee, who has 3.16 kills per set. She also has 2.26 digs per set, which ranks third behind Jenelle Hudson (3 kills per set) and Kristen Hahn (5.47 kills per set).

“I knew what she was capable of,” said coach Christy Johnson-Lynch. “It’s very difficult for a freshman to come in and do that because it’s an overwhelming process your first year, so I think she’s been amazing. She’s really just a nice all-around player. She’s a great server, a really nice passer.

“I couldn’t be more pleased with what she’s doing, honestly.”

After a strong debut against South Dakota State on Aug. 30, where Capezio had 12 kills, she had only four against North Dakota and two against Texas A&M in the next two matches and was averaging 1.8 kills per game after the first three matches of her collegiate career. Four days later, she showed signs of dominance with 22 kills in Cedar Falls, Iowa, against Northern Iowa and raised her average to 2.67 kills per set.

“In the beginning, it was rough for my game, but now that the season’s going on it’s getting better,” Capezio said. “I’m hoping to get way better by the end of the season.”

Senior libero Kristen Hahn said she has seen a lot of “resilience” out of Capezio so far this season.

“She bounces back. She might not have the best game but she’s able to … just dust it off her shoulder and come back and have a killer game,” Hahn said. “When we remind her to hit high, she does exactly those things, or go after the ball, she does those, so as teammates we just have to keep encouraging her and let her know that she can do everything.”

Since Capezio has shown what she can do on the court, Johnson-Lynch said the expectations for the freshman player are a little different than if she wasn’t capable.

“I think we’ll keep expecting more on her because she’s capable of it. If she wasn’t capable we’d give her a very limited role,” Johnson-Lynch said. “We’re having her serve; we’re having her pass. … We’re expecting her to score. We’re expecting a lot because what I’ve seen so far.”

The former back-to-back Wisconsin high school state champion said the “mental side of things” has been the biggest challenge in making the transition from high school to college volleyball.

“Practicing all the time, 100 percent all the time,” Capezio said. “I had days where I couldn’t even walk because I so sore, but I just had to find a way.”