Lightweights hope to peak in time

Photo: Jonathan Krueger/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt sophomore Ryak Finch fights to get out from under North Dakota State wrestler Trent Sprenkle after getting slammed on the edge of the mat Dec. 16 at Hilton Coliseum. Finch had to take an injury default in his match due to a concussion he sustained by getting slammed.

Dan Cole

The ISU wrestling team’s impressive turnaround from last season is due largely to the success the five heavier weight classes — from 165 pounds to heavyweight — have been able to find this season.

The lighter weights, however, have been a slightly different story.

The starters from 125 to 157 pounds have a combined record of 47-48 this season and boast zero nationally ranked wrestlers, while the latter weights have combined for a 71-24 mark this season and list a ranked wrestler at each class by either InterMat or W.I.N. Magazine.

“I think they’ve struggled a little bit,” said ISU coach Kevin Jackson of his lightweights. “I know where their head is at, and from that perspective I understand the process and where we’re at with building these guys to where we need to get them to. But from a win-loss percentage, obviously it’s not where we thought we’d be.”

Despite the struggles from these weight classes earlier on in the season, some of them seem to be gaining momentum at an opportune time as the regular season winds down toward the Big 12 Championships.

Redshirt sophomore Ryak Finch, who was an NCAA qualifier in his freshman campaign with a 15-10 record at 125 pounds last season, did not begin this season in as positive a fashion. He has been wrestling better recently, however, having won four of his last six matches for the Cyclones.

“I’d say we’re getting there,” Finch said. “It’s a constant process. I think a lot of the guys are starting to feel good about the gains we’ve made. Even though the season so far hasn’t gone as I’ve planned, I think that I’m definitely peaking at the right time and ready to make a good run at Big 12s and nationals.”

As far as the reason for the season’s early struggles, Finch said it’s hard to put his finger on why he was underachieving. He has made changes as the season has progressed, more so in terms of mentality than in style, which has allowed him to be more in control during his matches in order to get his setups and attacks off.

ISU assistant coach Troy Nickerson, who won an NCAA Championship at 125 pounds while he wrestled at Cornell, works closely with all of the Cyclone lightweights and said he doesn’t think anyone on the entire ISU roster has reached their full potential yet, and that the lightweights are certainly no exception.

“I’m seeing improvement out of each one of them every week in specific areas,” Nickerson said. “There’s a few areas we need to tighten up, but I don’t think any of them have really reached their full potential yet, but that’s all in preparation through the year and just our training cycle, and they’ll be peaking and running on all cylinders come March.”