Timely victories carry Cyclones against Sun Devils

Photo: Jonathan Krueger/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt sophomore Mike Moreno attacks the legs of Arizona State’s Rush Hall, sophomore, on Friday, Feb. 1, at Hilton Coliseum. Moreno won his match by pinning Hall and helping lead the Cyclones to a 23-18 victory.

Dan Cole

The ISU wrestling team used clutch performances by a number of wrestlers to defeat Arizona State (7-10, 2-1 Pac-12) on Friday night and extend its dual winning streak to five.

Following a slow start to the dual, the Cyclones (6-3, 1-1 Big 12) were down 6-3 after three matches before Michael Moreno stepped onto the mat and pinned Arizona State’s Ray Waters in 2:15, swiftly swinging the momentum and igniting the winning effort.

“Like I tell our guys, ‘It only takes one guy to light the fuse. Once the fuse is lit, the rest of the team is going to roll,’” said ISU coach Kevin Jackson. “Mike goes out there and he lights that fuse and once that fuse is lit you see what we’re capable of, and so it just needs to get lit a little sooner.”

Moreno, ranked No. 19 at 165 pounds by Intermat going into Friday’s dual, extended his team-leading win total on Friday and is now 19-5 on the season.

ISU redshirt sophomore Ryak Finch also picked up a crucial fall at 125 pounds in the ninth match of the night.

Prior to Finch’s match, the Cyclones led 17-12 and needed one more win to secure the victory. Finch pinned Dalton Miller in 2:30, creating an uproar in Hilton Coliseum as the Cyclones mathematically secured the victory.

“We talk about scoring bonus points; we talk about looking for falls,” Jackson said. “I see some good things, I see some bad things, but just like the East Coast swing, I expect a better performance on Sunday.”

Another clutch win for the Cyclones came from Kyven Gadson at 197 pounds. Gadson, who is still not wrestling at 100-percent health, defeated No. 7 Jake Meredith by way of a 9-1 major decision.

Ranked No. 9 at 197 pounds by Intermat, Gadson continued to build on his stellar comeback season by improving his record to 15-2 against a higher-ranked opponent.

“I think some people thought I was kidding and joking about his potential, his talent level and what he could accomplish once we got him into the program,” Jackson said. “I would say he’s about 60 percent of where he could actually get to. I think when he hits that hundred percent, you’re going to see something really really special.”

The current five-dual win streak is the first for the Cyclones since the 2009-10 season, and includes more wins that the Cyclones earned all of last season. With four duals remaining, the Cyclones already have two more wins than they did all of last season.

The Cyclones return to the mat at 2 p.m. on Sunday to face No. 2 Oklahoma State at Hilton Coliseum.