24/7 caffeine available soon in Campustown

Justin Ross installs new electronics on the outdoor menu sign at the new Dunkin’ Donuts. Dunkin’ Donuts will be opening in Ames on Feb. 20.

Alexander Furman

That’s right, Dunkin’ Donuts on the corner of Sheldon and Lincoln Way has stated they’ll be open 24/7.

The franchise, owned by Jeff Kelderman, is scheduled to open its doors on Feb. 20.

Although there have been some construction problems, Supervisor Daniel Sexton is confident they can open on time.

“It’s an old building; [there are] a lot of small things that come with an old building. We’ve worked through it. We still plan on opening the 20th.”

Pushing past the troubles of opening a business, the shop is scheduled to start training for employees on Thursday. Having a 24/7 business will also bring in dozens of jobs to the Campustown community.

Sexton stated that they will be training approximately 80 employees and 20 shift managers.

Students are excited to hear about the arrival of the donut chain.

“I think it’s really cool that it’s opening and that it’s right off of campus. So, it’s close. I love Dunkin’ Donuts, and I’m so happy that there is going to be a place where I can go get a donut,” sophomore Gina Boffa said.

She said that she gets coffee multiple times a week, but that’s not the main reason she’ll be checking out the store.

“I don’t drink coffee every day, but I drink it at least a couple times a week. I love donuts, but I try not to eat too many. But there will definitely be times where I am craving donuts,” Boffa said. “I like breakfast sandwiches. So I’ll probably go to Dunkin’ Donuts on the weekends for a breakfast sandwich.”

Managers at the new store also explained that they plan on having an edge over competitors like McDonald’s and Starbucks because the atmosphere will complement students if they would want to come in and study during the week and weekend.

Currently, the new Dunkin’ Donuts does not have its own website, but the Facebook page has just been created. Promotions and deals for students have not yet been discussed with franchise owner Kelderman, but they plan on having them eventually.

With a lot of businesses coming into the city of Ames, there are lots of opportunities to support fundraising and helping with charitable donations. Store managers said that currently they are scheduled to work with the Boys and Girls Club located just off of Duff as well as the Ames High School.

Kelderman has scheduled to build seven new stores after the one in Campustown by 2016.

The next store to open will be in Ankeny, and planners are unsure yet when the store in Marshalltown will open.

Sexton said they hope to open a store on Duff one day, but it is unclear how far down the road that is.