Bigbee named AVCA Central Region Freshman of the Year

Photo: Grace Steenhagen/Iowa State Daily

No. 2 right side hitter Mackenzie Bigbee leaps to make a kill in the second set of the match vs. Northern Iowa The game consisted of four sets with Iowa State winning the first, third and fourth. The final score of the fourth set was 27-25.

Alex Halsted

Following a successful freshman campaign during the regular season, ISU volleyball right side hitter Mackenzie Bigbee is bringing in the awards.

Last week, Bigbee was named the Big 12 Freshman of the Year. On Tuesday, the Williamsburg, Iowa, native was named the AVCA Central Region Freshman of the Year.

This season, Bigbee has 304 kills, helping her become just the second freshman in program history to surpass 300 kills in a season. Bigbee is averaging 2.81 kills per set, a top-10 number among Big 12 players.

In addition to Bigbee, libero Kristen Hahn and setter Alison Landwehr were selected to the all-region team and Victoria Hurtt and Jamie Straube were named as honorable mentions. 

Last week, Hahn was the named the Big 12 Libero of the Year, averaging 5.84 digs per set in Big 12 play. Landwehr was named the Big 12 Setter of the Year, averaging 11.93 assists per set. 

The Cyclones will take on No. 2-seeded Stanford in the Sweet 16 on Friday in Berkeley, Calif. First serve is set for 9 p.m. CST.