Block & Bridle Club

Kelsey Roehrich

With 450 members, Iowa State’s Block & Bridle Club is easily one of the largest clubs on campus.

Block & Bridle Club was built out of the department of Animal Science and is split into six interest groups which include beef, horse, poultry, swine, meats, and companion animals.

Brady McNeil, president of Block & Bridle club said they host events such as the Little North American Showmanship Contest, pig and sheep sales, dog and horse shows, grill outs, and more.

“Block and Bridle Club members also give back to the Ames community by holding canned food drives, participating in VEISHEA service day, and donating tie blankets to the Mary Greeley Hospital,” said Sara Morine, vice president of Block & Bridle club.

There are many opportunities in the club whether someone is interested in the show or commercial side of things, said McNeil.

“It got me to push myself out of my comfort zone,” said McNeil.

McNeil said that because of Block and Bridle club he was able to obtain his internships. He receive two opportunities at Kraft Oscar Meyer as a quality systems intern as well as a continuous improvement engineering intern.

“The Block and Bridle Club has many leadership opportunities so everyone has a chance to become a leader in their own way,” said Morine.

I feel more prepared for my career path due to my experiences and involvement in Block and Bridle, it has helped me grow as a professional and leader said Morine.

McNeil and Morine both believe that attending the Agriculture Career Fair is very important.

“The Ag Career Fair is the largest in the nation and provides a great opportunity for networking, internship options, and full time employment,” said Morine

It can be overwhelming for freshman and sophomores but it helps to get practice and break down that barrier of nervousness, said McNeil.

“Even if you don’t think you will get the internship that you want, there are always other opportunities,” said McNeil.

Block & Bridle club helps students prepare by having members that want to hold a committee position go through three to five minute interviews, said McNeil.

“As members of Block and Bridle there are numerous opportunities to speak with industry leaders and organize events. This helps give our members experience in professional situations,” said Morine.

McNeil said each semester the club invites new members to a new initiate meeting to provide them with what they can personally gain from the club.

To be a member in Block and Bridle you do not need to be a Animal Science major or have any previous experience with animals. 

“Our club strives to promote animal agriculture and educate the public about animal science,” said Morine.

McNeil said that they try to have something for everybody within the club and you will get as much out of your experience as you put into it.

“No matter what you’re interested in, find a club that you find exciting and engaging and it will allow your resume to speak for itself,” said McNeil.