Halloween Bootique has some good news for ISU students

Kari Paige

You won’t have to travel nearly as far to get your Halloween costume this year. After more than 20 years in North Grand Mall, Halloween Bootique has moved to the former Campus Book Store building at 2300 Lincoln Way.

Halloween Bootique was previously located in the former Sears site. Before that, it was variously placed in the North Grand Mall. Now that T.J.Maxx is being built, the Bootique got booted. Now, it’s right across the street from the university.

Bootique manager Verona Parr, who has worked at Coach House Gifts, the company that owns Halloween Bootique, for 15 years is very excited about the move.

Being so close to campus and selling mainly college-aged costumes will be better for business. Halloween Bootique is still hiring college students to work there for the season, which ends Nov. 1.

The Bootique is not the only place to find that perfect costume, though. Spirits is a new Halloween store at the mall, if students feel like traveling there.

Halloween Bootique’s current site became available when Campus Book Store closed. Since 1973, Floyd and Sandra Ballein privately owned the bookstore.

With some ISU apparel left in the windows of the Bootique, Lindsey Abbas, assistant manager at Coach House Gifts, said there has been some confusion to those that didn’t know of the bookstore’s closing.

It’s retail price is now around $2.9 million due to the property’s location, though the city assessed value is $1.8 million.

Dave Little, commercial sales and leasing associate, described the location as being very high profile and in excellent condition. Made with concrete and a masonry exterior, it is designed to hold thousands of pounds.

“Very strong bones, as we call it in the business.” Little said.

The building also has a passenger elevator for all three levels. As for the retail price of $2.9 million, Little said it originated with the owners. There is no indication of when they may possibly pull the price back. It has been on the market for 90 days now.

Amy DeLashmutt, marketing manager for the University Book Store, said business on campus has been much better, though it’s hard to gauge whether it is due to the Campus Book Store closing or the increase in students this year.

“We aren’t making any changes,” DeLashmutt said. “We feel a great responsibility to our students.”

The University Book Store updated their website before the semester. What used to be a separate site for textbook comparisons was integrated and now shows students side-by-side the prices of competitors such as Amazon and Half.com.

The site allows the University Book Store to also see competitor prices. This gives them an idea of how they could adjust prices to become more competitive.

The latest statistics show that 80 percent of students using the comparison site are choosing the University Book Store over online sources; another factor making it difficult to determine the increase of business.

Adam Flores, lead student of textbook department, said the University Book Store has been swamped.

“It’s hard to know if it has to do with admissions. I’m sure it played some role but how big I don’t know.”