Hahn, underclassmen shine in scrimmage

Players jump up for a block during women’s volleyball scrimmage Saturday, Aug. 18, at Hilton Coliseum.

Dylan Montz

The 2012 Cardinal and Gold Scrimmage for the ISU volleyball team was described as “a lot better than previous years” by junior libero Kristen Hahn because of chemistry those lineups will have with each other once the season with outside competition begins.

“We got in a really good rhythm,” said coach Christy Johnson-Lynch. “Our passing was dynamite and just our ball-handling in general. It was fun to see the freshman out there and see what they can do.”

Freshmen Mackenzie Bigbee and Andie Malloy were two freshmen to step in on the Cardinal squad with starters from last season’s Elite Eight team and make impacts both offensively and defensively.

Bigbee said the transition to Iowa State has been smooth so far because the freshmen seem to already have some chemistry and comfortability with each other.

“I think we all just play at a high level,” Bigbee said. “We came in, and it didn’t take us long to understand the pace of the game, and we got into it, and we just understood, and it brought us together to be the best that we can.”

While Bigbee and Malloy as well as the other five freshmen made impacts in the match, Johnson-Lynch said she will not know who will be receiving a redshirt for possibly a couple weeks.

“The freshman class is so big that I would like to redshirt a couple,” Johnson-Lynch said. “I’m just not sure who it will be yet. We just have a lot of good freshmen. We’re getting closer to some decisions, but we haven’t talked about that with the players yet.”

Hahn, a native of Cedar Rapids, also contributed by recording 21 digs and three assists as libero. Hahn’s passing has also become another weapon the Cyclones will try to take advantage of this season.

“She’s a very consistent passer and is even more comfortable taking up more of the court now,” Johnson-Lynch said. She’s running a lot of balls down. It’s really tough to get the ball down on her and, of course, that’s what you want from a libero.”

And Hahn wants only to improve her skills: “I’ve been focusing a lot on making sure that I stay consistent with my passing, and I think I’m definitely getting where [Johnson-Lynch] needs me to be and making sure I’m a leader out there and setting good examples for the younger girls. I think I’m going to get there so I’m really excited.”

Hahn’s leadership skills have become more evident in the very beginning of her junior season with seven freshmen just beginning their college careers. Johnson-Lynch said it will be important for Hahn to be a vocal leader as well as lead by example.

“I think she’s showing a lot of leadership,” Johnson-Lynch said. “She’s very focused everyday, and she comes in ready to go everyday. [She’s] very motivated. I sense from her that she’s ready to take it to the next level.”

In addition, Hahn said she thought, with the Cardinal and Gold Scrimmage being the first time the freshmen have played in front of a crowd at Hilton Coliseum, they did really well, but they always will have room for improvement.

“I think a couple of them could be a little more vocal,” Hahn said, “and I think they just need a little more encouragement from us upperclassmen.

“I think that they are going to be great.”