Veishea opening ceremonies make move to earlier in week

Joy Wessels

Each year, ISU students and the Ames community alike get to celebrate all the festivities Veishea encompasses. Whether it’s perusing the wide array of food vendors or watching the parade circle around campus, each event means something special to the Veishea that students know and love.

One such event is the annual Veishea opening ceremonies. Despite its title, the opening ceremonies in the past have been held at the end of the week on Friday. This year however, the opening ceremonies will take place on Tuesday, said Kayla Nielsen, general co-chairwoman.

“We are moving up the program in order to embrace the ‘opening’ label and kick off the week,” Nielsen said. “The program will now be recognized as the Veishea Opening Ceremony and Awards.”

No matter when the event takes place, the opening ceremonies have always been important to the celebration. In the past, opening ceremonies have been quite elaborate. The fountain in front of the Memorial Union was dedicated at the Veishea opening ceremonies in 1937. On occasion, the governor of Iowa even attends the ceremony.

This year, students can expect to find a social gathering to recognize the accomplishments of faculty, staff and student leaders on campus.

“This year is extra special as we celebrate our 90th anniversary,” Nielsen said. “Students and university administrators come together to celebrate.”

The opening ceremony recognizes both the Faculty and Leadership Recognition program and the Student Activities Center awards. The awards program will be emceed by Tom Hill, vice president of Student Affairs.

The Veishea Opening Ceremony and Awards will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. The awards ceremony will begin at 5:15 p.m.