Faculty Senate receives update on Provost search

Aimee Burch,.Com

April’s Faculty Senate meeting Tuesday kicked off with an update on the current search for a new Executive Vice President and Provost.

“We had 130 nominations and 35 complete applications,” said Faculty Senate president and Provost search committee member Steve Freeman in his opening remarks. “The review process has started and candidates will be on campus the weeks of April 16 and 23.”

The other big topic of Tuesday’s meeting dealt with a proposal outlining recommendations for what faculty members should include in their syllabi. Freeman said this came about from concerns addressed by the Government of the Student Body as well as the general student population.

Zachary Boss, GSB Director of Student Affairs, addressed the senate on behalf of the GSB.

“This is to create transparency and avoid confusion,” Boss said. “This confusion is what lead to the drafting of this resolution.”

Prior to the meeting, various senators submitted proposed amendments to the resolution, igniting a series of debate amongst the senate. An amendment providing a cyberlink and clarification to the disability accommodations paragraph passed, as did an amendment making the wording more specific overall.

After an explanation by Boss of having received numerous abuse complaints of the Dead Week policies by faculty from students, an amendment outlining the expectations of Dead Week in syllabi also passed. After being amended four different times, the resolution as a whole was approved by the senate.

During the meeting, the senate also approved the discontinuation of the Engineering Studies minor and the implementation of an Energy Systems minor.