Letter to the editor: Regents Day 2012 a success

Elizabeth Bertelson

I have a few words for you: Success. Bam.

Yesterday was Regent’s Day at the State Capitol, an event in which Regent school students had the opportunity to visit the State Capitol, speak to representatives and senators and generally get a feel for state government. The University of Northern Iowa, University of Iowa, and (of course) Iowa State participated. We also got free Jimmy John’s, complete with pickle.

Here’s the basic run-down. We arrived at the Capitol around noon, during the House and Senate lunch breaks, allowing everyone to just take everything in. Have you ever been to the State Capitol? Seriously, it is beautiful. I’m not going to elaborate so you feel tempted to the check it out yourself, but man! it was something.

Even during the lunch hour, the Capitol is bustling with activity. People waiting outside the House and Senate, chit chatting and chat chitting about why they were there, who they’d like to speak to and everything in between. Students anxiously looking up their representatives and taking in the action. Clerks and pages wander in and out of the chambers, shouting names of person requesting meetings with various legislators. If you’ve never experienced state government up close, then it is just going to sound like madness. In actuality, it’s organized chaos.

After an hour or so, a news conference took place, with speeches given by the student body presidents of the three public universities. To summarize: State universities are important. We’re valuable. We’re the future. Please treat us as such. Goooooooooo Hawks, Cats and Cyclones (but mostly Cyclones)!! Applause.

The Ambassadors wandered about, keeping things moving. Some showed other students the Chambers, some just helped people get comfortable with the idea of talking to a legislator. Let’s expand on that, shall we? Yes.

Talking to a legislator. That one thing that people never seem to get around to, but is also the one thing essential to the democratic system. I’m not going to throw a ton of philosophy at you right now, but it’s pretty impossible for change to occur, in any direction, if no one speaks up to the people making those decisions.

Yeah, it’s scary. And yesterday, I’m pretty darn sure we inspired some people. Gave ’em some confidence. Showed ’em the ropes. It was W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L.

I talked to several ISU students, attending Regent’s Day for a political science class, and a common thing people said was, “But … I don’t have any issues.” Hey, guys. That’s okay. But we can still talk to politicians, still start building relationships, still network here and there. This is still a worthwhile trip.

I joined in on a few discussions between students and representatives and the general response was positive. People came out of the State Capitol feeling more empowered and feeling like they really do have a voice.

Victory.

It’s a victory, a huge victory, not because people were gaining a voice, but because they realized they truly did have a voice. They finally found out how to use it. I think we all realized how important each and every one of us is to the politic process. How about a more specific example, okay? Okay.

A friend of mine recognized a representative from her county, already in a discussion with another student. We strolled on over and joined in the conversation. At first, things didn’t seem to be headed in a promising direction; the student was talking about her desire for incentives being put in place to keep graduates in Iowa. The representative shook his head and said, “I think that’s more of a business responsibility. We can only make a climate for people to enjoy.” Then my friend chimed in, saying, “What about a loan incentive program? A certain percentage off certain student loans if a graduate stays in Iowa and works for several years?” “Yeah!” I chimed, “then we do create an climate to encourage people to stay in Iowa.” And what did that representative reply with? “Well, I’ll just have to keep that in the back of my mind. That is just so refreshing.”

Refreshing. Talking to students is refreshing. Great job, Iowa State. Keep up the great work.