SPRING SPORTS: Little Cyclones, big Cyclones help each other out for outdoor season

Stephen Koenigsfeld

The ISU track teams have a lot they can boast about, with championship titles and national contenders to name a few. The missing piece to this picture is an outdoor facility to bring it all together.

Most recently, the ISU men’s and women’s track teams have been cohabiting the Ames High School track with the Ames High track team.

Between ISU coach Corey Ihmels and Ames High Athletic Director Judge Johnston, the two have worked out terms where the track can be equally used until the new outdoor facility is opened for the ISU track teams.

“It’s a win-win for both of us,” Johnston said. “My facility is up and running and adequate right now for their purposes and we’re more than happy to help.”

The reason the ISU track teams have been practicing at Ames High School is due to the simple fact that Iowa State doesn’t have an outdoor facility as of right now.

Currently under construction is Iowa State’s new outdoor track-and-field facility, and Ihmels said the facility is well under way. He is ready to get out and run on it, even though it’s not finished yet.

“They’re ahead of schedule right now and depending on how the weather is this spring will depend on how far ahead on construction they get,” Ihmels said. “You can walk around out there and see it looking like track already.”

Johnston said Ames High School has been in full cooperation with the coaches of the track teams and is always willing to help out.

“Helping each other out in a time of need and there are many times where Ames High needs to lean on Iowa State, so we just help each other out,” Johnston said. “We’re both local and we both have staffs that cross over.”

Johnston said the Ames High track staff and ISU track staff are always involved with each other, whether it’s working at each other’s meets or small jobs for one another.

The generosity goes both ways, Ihmels said. He has always felt the two teams are constantly trying to help each other out.

“They’ve been very gracious, and we’ve got a great relationship with both Ames High coaches,” Ihmels said.

Both schools have been fortunate to not run into scheduling conflicts. Johnston said planning goes smoothly between coaching staffs to make sure neither team interrupts the other’s practice.

“We’re just now starting out track season here at the high school level,” Johnston said. “We have not had a lot of direct conflict on the track. And Iowa State’s schedule is transitioning into more meets and they’re heading south.”

With competition in the outdoors just around the corner, Johnston said he doesn’t anticipate the ISU teams being around the high school much more.

Coming from the Ames High perspective, girl’s track coach Kirk Schultz said the cooperation between the two schools has been flawless.

“They’ve been very, very helpful with us anytime we’ve needed to exchange equipment,” Schultz said. “It’s a really positive relationship.”

Schultz said having the university in the same town as the high school is a good morale booster for the students on both levels.

“We’re in a unique situation with a college town here and a high school here; the more we can foster positive relationships the better it’s going to be,” Schultz said. “I’m just very pleased with the relationship with Iowa State.”

All around, the two schools are in good relations with each other and both coaching staffs said they look forward to working with each other more in the future.

The new ISU outdoor facility is still under construction. Luckily for the Cyclones, the teams move into a fast-paced outdoor season where more time will be spent on the road.