Spruce Pointe apartments coming soon to Campustown

Sprucetree Apartments, located on the corner of Knapp Street and Lynn Avenue, offer roomy living options for students from a family-owned management company invested in the Ames community. From their four-bedroom, three-story units all the way down to their modest two-bedroom flats, the brand new apartments are fully booked until 2013.

Meredith Keeler

Students will soon have yet another option for living near campus. Spruce Pointe, at 2309 Knapp St., is a new apartment complex that offers a variety of floor plans just a few minutes from the heart of Campustown. The spacious three-story building will be move-in ready for fall 2012.

So the question is, how is Spruce Pointe different from other apartments around Campustown?

“They are bigger and better apartments,” said Larry Coady, owner of Coady Enterprises.

Spruce Pointe offers two-, three- and four-bedroom units with one-and-a-half, two or two-and-a-half baths. Units also may be one, two or three levels. Each unit is given one free uncovered parking spot, although additional parking, covered or uncovered, is available to rent. 

Coady said the apartment complex was built with double dry wall, so they are truly built to last. Some unique features include front-door access to individual apartments, a keyed privacy lock for each individual room, oak hand railings on staircases, energy-efficient appliances and a washer and dryer in each unit.

“He’s constantly thinking about how to make it the best,” said Sheila Coady, Property Manager and Larry’s daughter, on her father’s attention to detail.

The Coady family has grown up in Iowa, right on Welch Avenue.

“We’re local and family-run, always have been. We’ve been doing it since 1963,” Sheila said. “If you have a problem, it will get taken care of right away.” 

Larry, who is a retired ISU professor, manages two major properties (Spruce Pointe is now the second) and keeps his family-owned-and-operated business his focus.

“We have an investment in the neighborhood that most don’t have,” Sheila said.