Stay healthy during spring

Lea Petersen

Summer’s seductive song is not the only thing students’ senses are being bombarded with as spring moves in. Common spring and summer ailments are also stirring from hibernation.

Sunburn

“Sunburn is a topic that comes up a lot as spring and summer begin,” said Laura Knowles, nursing director at Thielen Student Health Center.

Knowles explained that sunburn can be prevented by applying sunscreen and following the product’s instructions. She said if someone has already experienced the effects of sunburn, there are a couple of options for relief, depending upon the severity of the burn.

“General sunburn will likely cause red skin and hurt to the touch, but may be treated at home,” Knowles said. “If the burn swells up and blisters, contacting a health care provider is advised.”

Insect bites

Students are not the only ones enjoying the beautiful weather — bees and other insects are out searching for sweet flower nectar.

“Insect bites very rarely pose danger, but in some circumstances, medical treatment is necessary,” said Dr. Scott Meyer, associate director for Clinical Services at Thielen.

Meyer said people should seek immediate medical treatment if they have a history of severe allergic response to insect stings, such as anaphylaxis.

Blisters and scrapes

For common and very mild spring aliments, such as blisters from those adorable spring shoes you just had to buy or scraped knees from trying out longboarding, students can check out WebMD for simple at-home solutions.

However, if you start running a fever or have any concerns that your aliment is getting worse instead of better, do not hesitate to seek medical attention.