Letter to the editor: Internationals among us enrich our experiences

Jennifer Musgrove

I am writing in response to Austin Langfeldt’s letter to the editor expressing that Chinese students attending Iowa State arrive with the goal of learning “our technologies” and taking them back to China. Langfeldt likens the academic experience of Chinese students to the “equivalent of telling the 1970s-era Soviet Union how to build a better bomb.” Langfeldt continues his rant by stating that “we are permitting our economic enemy to find out how to boost its economy” and closes by asserting that he has “educated” us regarding these “nonimmigrant international” students.

Because Langfeldt is a senior, his opportunity for personal and academic growth while attending Iowa State is coming to a close. Unfortunately, he is destined to maintain these close-minded, ignorant views for years to come, shutting himself out of amazing experiences and friendships.

The majority of us would say that our academic lives are more interesting and enriched because of the international students who attend alongside us — including our Chinese friends. We do not feel threatened by diversity. Unlike Langfeldt, we don’t feel the need to clothe our insecurities with disdain for another race or culture.

In closing, I challenge the idea that international students are here only to take. Bear in mind that they also come to share. They come to share their ideas, culture, language, expertise and friendship. And our lives are better off because of them.