Editorial: Strong standards are needed to remain relevant in the globalized world

We live in a globalized world where societies are constantly interconnecting with each other. Corporations and jobs are becoming more transnational; employment for college graduates increasingly means competition in a world market.

As Iowans, we have to compete with people from developing countries such as Brazil, Russia, India and China. To remain relevant in the job market requires, we need more liberal and cultural education than ever before.

Companies in nearly every industry are looking for graduates who can interact in a diverse range of cultural and national requirements. A few examples: IBM employs 386,558 people and operates in 170 countries; Honda Motors has 500 subsidiaries worldwide.

The globalized world demands global knowledge. Languages such as Spanish, Chinese and German are needed in order to communicate between management and employees. Foreign sales depend on comprehension of foreign cultures, knowledge of local and world history, as well as skills in the contrasting political systems.

As the world has become increasingly interconnected, Iowa State students have remained influential. But in order to remain relevant in the global job market, we need to build better skills in our high schools. As foreign states continue to increase their standards, we in Iowa should consider our own.

Maybe states such as Iowa should mandate higher entrance requirements for their public universities or, per Gov. Branstad’s education reform plan, replace junior-year assessments with a requirement that all students take the ACT or SAT.

On its face, the plan may seem unnecessary for students not interested in higher education, but it helps build required skills for any post-graduate experience.

A robust education is important, whether you plan to attend college or enter the job market. Schools need to be held to a higher standard, whether it occurs at a federal, state or local level, students need to graduate prepared to interact in an interconnected world.

If funding for high schools is tied to the results of examinations such as the ACT or the SAT, schools would be forced to ensure the education in crucial areas, making them compete with other schools in the state.

Some states already have such requirements, and many schools in Iowa take time out of their curricula to intensively prepare students taking the ACT. Regardless of how they are performing in their classes, students benefit from training in reasoning, writing and logic skills, in addition to factual knowledge in areas such as grammar, science and math.

Benefits of training for the ACT and SAT may be seen by all. It helps students consider the possibility of a college education, it helps them focus on their classes, and it prepares them for any post-graduation opportunities. Schools will be in competition to make sure students are better prepared in fields necessary for collegiate success.