Gruber continues to adjust to life at Iowa State

Dylan Montz

For junior distance runner Daniel Gruber, the start of spring semester and indoor track and field season has been a bigger transition period, perhaps, than for other student athletes.

Gruber, a native of Emsburen, Germany, arrived at Iowa State the week before spring semester classes began to register as a full-time student, as well as begin his work with the ISU track and field team.

Gruber is a junior athletically, but while at Iowa State, he will be working toward his master’s degree in interdisciplinary studies. He said the last week has been kind of stressful and he is still getting used to the time change, but he has so far enjoyed his time at Iowa State.

“It is so much different here,” Gruber said. “First of all, the campus here is so much more beautiful. The teachers are very open-minded and friendly and if you have a question, you can just go up and ask them. That is the big difference from Germany.”

Gruber came to Iowa State after competing in track and field while at the University of Cologne in Germany. He holds personal bests in the 800-meter run (1:49.07), the 1,000-meter run (2:22.91) and the 1,500 meter-run (3:43.91.)

Gruber claimed scholarship offers from Arizona State, Auburn, Drake and Tulsa before settling on the Cyclones. He was recruited by assistant coach Travis Hartke.

“I thought that they have a very good team and they have a good study program at the college, so I will go run there,” Gruber said of Iowa State.

Gruber said that while at Iowa State, his main focus will be on the 1,500-meter run with a goal of 3:40 minutes or less in mind, as well as a goal of qualifying for the NCAA finals.

Last weekend at the ISU Open, Gruber competed in the men’s distance medley relay, where his team placed fourth with a time of 10:06.99. ISU coach Corey Ihmels said he has been very pleased with Gruber’s progress.

“He split a very good time in the relay running the 800 [meters] yesterday,” Ihmels said. “He is still trying to adjust to being in a new country and being in school full time. He is going to be really good; he wants to be good.

“He’s got a bright future.”