Letter: A chance for a clean start

Photo: David Derong/Iowa State Daily

Gavin Moore, senior in philosophy and co-president of ActivUs, stops students in front of Parks Library on Friday, Nov. 4, to inform them about the Beyond Coal campaign and his group’s petition to get ISU administrators to form a long-term plan to phase out the use of coal on campus.

For a university that prides itself on energy research and sustainability, Iowa State burns an awful lot of coal — 154,463 tons per year — to be exact, according to the Iowa State “Live Green!” website. That coal produces more than 400,000 tons of carbon dioxide per year, as well as a host of other chemicals that are not listed on the website.

Coal contains toxic heavy metals such as mercury, arsenic and lead. When the coal is burned, these chemicals are released into the air where they are inhaled by students and Ames residents alike. Mercury is of particular concern because it can cause birth defects and mental retardation in children.

Thankfully, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has made new regulations limiting the amount of mercury released by power plants. Three out of four alternative scenarios being considered to ensure Iowa State’s compliance with the new regulations still include burning coal, but when it comes to protecting our health and the environment, any coal is too much coal.

This review of our power plant is an opportunity for a clean start on a clean energy portfolio, and we can’t afford to pass it up. We need to move beyond coal.