Longtime teammates join Cyclone soccer squad

Photo: Rebekka Brown/Iowa State Daily

Defender Lindsay Frank fights two South Dakota opponets for the ball during their match held Friday, Sept. 16 at the ISU Soccer Complex. Frank’s 24 minutes of playing time helped the Cyclones defeat the Jackrabbits 1-0.

Cory Weaver

Lindsay Frank and Catherine Reese are two freshmen on the ISU soccer team who share a unique bond.

They don’t play the same position, they aren’t related, but they do come from the same high school and hometown of Carrollton, Texas, and the newcomers say coming to college together has made it much easier.

“It was awesome because I didn’t have any other friends, of course, and it was really easy for us to adjust because I felt like I had part of me from home,” Reese said.

The duo has known each other since they were 5 and has been playing together since their rec soccer days when they were little. Reese said that has helped make the jump from high school to collegiate soccer as well.

“It is a huge difference, for me and Lindsay. [On] our high school team, especially, we were the most laid back,” Reese said. “Coming here where you’re constantly pushed and expected to perform, it was a big adjustment for us.”

Frank and Reese come from Hebron High School, and for many Cyclone soccer fans, that name rings a bell. Jordan Bishop, who played for Iowa State for four years and is now a student assistant until she graduates, also went to Hebron, and she said both have a lot of talent.

“I was actually here on their official visit, so I talked to their parents. We had the same coach when we were in high school, so I’m really good friends [with him] and [talked] to him about the players too, because I never necessarily played with them,” Bishop said. “I’ve seen enough games of theirs and they’re very capable players and they’ll give ISU a lot of depth coming off the bench — or if they start, either way.”

For most college freshmen, getting used to the college schedule and classes is a big change from high school. Frank said that has surprised her as well.

“You don’t have a lot of free time, which is good,” Frank said. “But it’s definitely really busy and it’s kind of hard to manage your time and when things are due, but the Hixson and [Student] Success [Center] really helps us making sure we’re on track with everything, so it’s good.”

With so many returning starters from last season, the team didn’t have many open spots for freshmen to start. However, coach Wendy Dillinger said it has played a big role in the back for the Cyclones.

“Lindsay stepped in at center back and has done a great job,” Dillinger said. “Sometimes we start her, sometimes we bring her in off the bench depending on where else our needs are. Caitlin [Graboski] has played in the back a little bit lately and has moved back into the midfield, but Lindsay’s pretty much carved out a placer for herself in the back line for us.”

Reese has seen game action in a pair of matches as well and while Dillinger said she is still getting into the swing of things, she is a good player as well.

“Cate plays in the midfield and is still kind of adjusting to the game,” Dillinger said. “But she’s very competitive, she’s got good vision, good skill, can connect passes and is dangerous in the attack, too.”

Junior defender Megan Long was Bishop’s teammate for three years and said after what Bishop did at Iowa State, they can expect a lot out of Reese and Frank in the future.

“They definitely have great futures here” Long said. “I can’t wait to see how they develop over the years.”