The Grove promotes ‘fully loaded college living’

The Grove, a new apartment complex within sight of Jack Trice Stadium, offers two and three bedroom layouts complete with furniture and amenities. Though the apartments are still under construction, Grove realtors once hoped to start moving students in by August 20.

Mckenzie Vogt

Next fall there will be one more choice for college students when looking at future housing options.

The Grove, 715 S. 16th Street, is an apartment complex that promotes the motto “fully loaded college living.”

“I think it’s a great place for college students because we offer a lot of amenities that not all the other apartment complexes offer,” said Kaitlyn Harms, leasing agent and sophomore in journalism and mass communications. “It’s a lot like a community.”

Some of the amenities that are available at The Grove are a 24-hour fitness center, free tanning, game room, pool, Wi-Fi, coffee bistro and a library with free printing.

“You are going to know the residents and the people that work here because you will be spending time in the community with everyone enjoying all the amenities,” said Mike Meehl, sales manager.

Last week The Grove hosted a Grovefest,” Meehl said, which included a casino day with lots of black jack and other fun games, allowing participants the opportunity to win a bunch of different prices. The Grove wrapped up the week with Fish Friday.

“There are 27 Groves all over the country and six being built right now,” Meehl said. “We stand out because there is nothing really like us already here in Ames.”

The Grove accommodates up to three bedroom apartments that range anywhere from $475 a person for a three-bedroom, to $520 a person for a two-bedroom. These prices will go until April 30, then the prices will continue to rise as the apartments fill up.

“We do not do a security deposit, it’s just easier that way,” Meehl said. “We do a guarantor or co-signer and just bill you for additional damages later.”

Although no short-term leases are available, The Grove does have the ability to match up anyone who might be studying abroad in one semester with another person who will only be around for the other semester.

“That way they essentially share a lease and just split it up,” Meehl said. “That is one way we found to accommodate people who are just going to be here for a portion of the time and still be at our year lease.”

Another added bonus is the CyRide shuttle stop directly in front of the location.

Julianne Bacon, manager, and Meehl will be living above the clubhouse with community assistants in each building to assist any resident with a problem.

“It is not like the dorms,” said Tyler Till, senior in agricultural studies and leasing agent. “We are not going to write you up or anything to get you in trouble. We are just there if someone needs something.”

“I am excited for this coming fall,” Til saidl. “Basically everyone that has signed here has been pretty upbeat, the typical college student. It’s kind of nice.”