GSB to vote on meeting attendance, new cinema project

Whitney Sager

A bill that requires Government of the Student Body senators to attend one student organization meeting each month will once again be up for discussion and a possible vote at Wednesday’s GSB meeting.

The purpose of the Connecting with Constituents Bill is to increase interaction and awareness among students about GSB. Senators will sit in on student organization meetings in order to gain an understanding of what the organization does. When the organizations come to GSB asking for funding, the senators will have a better idea of what the goals of that organization are and can make a better-informed decision about whether to grant them the requested funds.

“If passed, students will feel more directly connected to their student government and readily have an open line of communication in which they are able to voice their opinions, concerns, or any other matters that they feel are important,” said Scott Connell, engineering senator and junior in computer engineering.

When the bill was discussed at last week’s GSB meeting, several senators had concerns about the vagueness of the bill. Many wondered how the bill would be enforced and if senators would really go to the meetings because they wanted to or just to fill a requirement.

“I don’t know if we can honestly hold ourselves accountable for doing this every single month,” said Adam Guenther, Inter-Residence Hall Association senator and sophomore in animal science.

Eric Harms, United Resident of Off Campus senator and senior in materials engineering, said the idea behind the bill is good, but it needs some fine-tuning before being put into effect.

“I think that in the spirit of this bill, it is excellent,” Harms said. “I think that the [Public Relations] Committee and Executive Committee should go in and work on something similar and bring it back to us.”

Another bill that will be discussed at the meeting is the Cinema Project Round Two Bill.

This bill proposes a combination of the Student Union Board and Free Friday Flicks film programs into one.

Nate Dobbels, speaker of the senate and senior in agricultural and life sciences education, said the bill will improve the film program at Iowa State by having films shown in a set location and creating a theater-style atmosphere.

“Students will benefit a lot from this proposal,” Dobbels said. “It will enhance current programs, offer a set location for movie sessions, create many new publicity options and create a theater style area on campus that is centrally located.”

The meeting will take place at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. It will be the last GSB meeting of the 2010-2011 academic year.