Women prepared for big week at Lied

Photo: David Derong/Iowa State Daily

Sophomore Taylor Petersen competes in the women’s distance medley relay Friday night during the Iowa State Open at Lied Recreational Athletic Center.

Sally Donlin

The ISU women’s track team is preparing to host the Iowa State Classic held at the Lied Recreation Center on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Coach Corey Ihmels looks forward to seeing great things from freshman high jumper and Cyclone volleyball player Hannah Willms.

“She’s competed well each weekend and continues to do a great job,” Ihmels said. “I anticipate her to just keep doing what she’s doing and continue having fun doing it.”

Willms came in fourth place last weekend at the Husker Invitational with a jump of 5 feet, 08.75 inches. She is looking to improve her score from last week by an inch.

“I’m excited for it,” said Willms. “There’s a lot of competition so it should be fun.”

Freshman Kersten Thorgaard did well in the mile last weekend placing fifth overall in addition to scoring a new personal best. She won her heat with the time of 5:08:54.

“I think Kersten is going to have a better experience running in a more competitive race,” said assistant coach Kristy Popp. “She hasn’t had the opportunity to run the 800-[meter] for a few weeks so I think getting her in a fast, competitive heat I think she’ll have the chance to do some big things.”

The ISU track and field teams will face competition from in-state rivals Iowa, Northern Iowa and Drake, as well as Big 12 North rivals Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri. Also arriving to Lied will be No. 9 Auburn. Action will begin at 12:30 p.m. with multi-events.

“It’s a lot of work,” Ihmels said. “We have great officials that volunteer their time. If it wasn’t for a great staff and great officials, the week would be a lot harder than it is.”