Rotating the roster

ISU football coach Paul Rhoads addresses media and members of the athletics department Wednesday in the atrium of the Jacobson Athletic Building. Rhoads announced that Iowa State had 28 junior college and high school players signed national letters of intent for the 2010 football season. Photo: Jay Bai /Iowa State Daily

Jay Bai

Chris Cuellar

In a business filled with text messaging as much as play-calling, the next couple days are important for the 55,000 fans that pack into Jack Trice Stadium in the fall.

The NCAA’s initial signing period for football begins Wednesday, with prospective student-athletes putting their names on the National Letter of Intent for the 2011-’12 school year.

It will be coach Paul Rhoads’ second full class at Iowa State, with signings expected from high school players from recruiting hotbeds Texas and Florida.

The Cyclones will likely continue Rhoads’ trend for signing more speed for the program. Verbal commitments have come in from three-star rated players like Jaquarius Daniels, DeVondrick Nealy and two high school players named Sam Richardson, according to recruiting website Scout.com.

With 18 players currently listed as commitments, the Daily will provide the lists of departing Cyclones, returning starters and tomorrow, players signing with Iowa State.

Listed are players departing and returning on Iowa State’s final two-deep chart of the season, with their 2010 statistics.