Local stars ignite Cy-Hawk rivalry

Darrin Cline

The state of Iowa is recognized nationally for producing some of the best high school wrestlers in the United States. With high school programs like Waverly-Shell Rock, Iowa City West, and Ballard, Iowa has become a hotbed for college recruiters looking for the “next big thing.”

While universities such as Minnesota, Nebraska, and Old Dominion have attracted some of the state’s premier talents to programs beyond state lines, most of Iowa’s young stars have found themselves in the wrestling rooms of the Univeristy of Northern Iowa, the University of Iowa, or Iowa State University.

Following decorated prep careers, these athletes must choose where to take their talents at the next level. For many of these young men, the decision to stay in state has propelled the annual Iowa versus Iowa State wrestling meet into one of the premier events in the Cy-Hawk rivalry.

The tradition continues this year with rosters laiden with homegrown talent. The Cyclone wrestling room is littered with former high school stand outs and state champions. Fifteen former Iowa prep wrestlers have helped form a line up that has the No. 14 Cyclones at 4-0.

Of these locally grown grapplers, one has been wrestling especially close to home. Trent Weatherman, a 2009 graduate of Ballard High School in Huxley, grew up less than 10 miles from Iowa State’s campus. A two time state champion who finished with an astounding 180-8 record, Weatherman has competed against some of the best in the nation and seen the elite wrestlers in Iowa.

“It says a lot about the state. The coaches do a lot of strong recruiting in state and get some of the best guys,” said Weatherman, who visited the University of Nebraska and the University Minnesota before deciding to stay close to home. “It’s great being close to home. I have a lot of support.”

Weatherman is likely to be pitted against Derek St. John at 157 pounds in the dual against Iowa. Much like his Cyclone counterpart, St. John compiled a list of accolades that includes two high school state titles. Both of these gladiators clashed many times as kids, but have only faced each other once since ninth grade. The anticipated battle is a showcase of the best wrestling the state of Iowa has to offer.

While Weatherman versus St. John may be the most anticipated match of the night, many other local favorites will be on display, further igniting personal and team rivalries.

Andrew Sorenson’s road will likely lead him to a rematch with either Aaron Janssen or Jake Kerr. The showdown at 165 will feature two born and raised Iowans with Sorenson from Woden, Iowa, and Janssen and Kerr hailing from Emmetsburg and Oskaloosa, respectively. 

Sorenson and Janssen wrestled with each other growing up and knew each other well. Both come from small Iowa towns, and Sorenson credits this for much of his success, and the success of other Iowa wrestlers.

“As a kid you grow up and watch wrestling,” Sorenson said. “[Wrestling] is just so popular in Iowa. It requires so much hardwork and that’s something a lot of Iowa kids learn to do.”

The wrestling prowess of the state of Iowa will be featured prominently in the 77th installment of the Iowa versus Iowa State wrestling feud. The University of Iowa is expected to dress at least seven lifelong Hawkeyes while local legends could fill nearly half of the Cyclone lineup.

Whether the fans are bleeding scarlet and gold or particiapting in the Iowa Hawkeye blackout, everyone can take pride in knowing that the talent they are witnessing was homegrown.