ISU picks up first road win against UNI

Dan Tracy

Facing their first road trip of the season, Iowa State rallied after being down 33-30 at the half to defeat Northern Iowa 69-59 in Cedar Falls. The Cyclones (3-0) knocked off the Panthers (2-1) in their home opener, running their winning streak to eight against Northern Iowa.

Leading Iowa State was freshman forward Hallie Christofferson, who scored a career-high 19 points in only her third regular season game as a Cyclone.

Three other Cyclones finished in double figures, led by senior Kelsey Bolte with 13 points. Sophomore forward Chelsea Poppens faced foul trouble throughout the game but scored 10 in her 11 minutes of play. Sophomore center Anna Prins chipped in with 10 points and 10 rebounds for her first double-double of the season.

Poor shooting plagued the Panthers as they finished the game shooting only 27.1 percent. Junior guard Jacqui Kalin led Northern Iowa with 13 points and junior guard Katelin Oney and sophomore forward Amber Kirschbaum finished with 11 apiece.

Iowa State will spend the rest of Thanksgiving Break at the Paradise Jam Tournament in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. The Cyclones will play three games in three days beginning on Thursday when they take on Virginia (3-1).

The Cyclones will continue on in tournament play when they face No. 23 TCU (3-0) on Friday and No. 10 West Virginia (3-0) on Saturday.