FEMA provides assistance to community

Paige Godden

The Ames City Council addressed plans for disaster recovery at a news conference Tuesday, Aug. 17.

Mayor Ann Campbell said the city is now focusing on bringing together various recovery resources in order to continue cleanup efforts efficiently.

“It’s not going to be a short and easy fix, it’s going to be a long and painful one,” Campbell said.

Campbell said because the city was declared a presidential disaster region Saturday, Aug. 14, the Federal Emergency Management Agency will be providing communities and individuals assistance.

Campbell said people who are in need of assistance should first check with their insurance agency.

Lori Morrissey, coordinator of the Story County Emergency Management Agency, said FEMA will cover every one of the damages that were not covered by local insurance as of June 1. This aid will go to those affected by the windstorm in July and the recent floods.

Contact FEMA by visiting www.disasterassistance.gov, or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA.

In order to file a claim, you will need documentation of damages, including photographs, receipts from any repairs, income level, tax statements, a social security number and a pre-disaster address as well as a current one. If a grant is approved, you will also need to provide banking information for a direct deposit.

Ames Public Library is setting up assistance for those who need computers to file a report.

FEMA provides grant-based funding that can assist with temporary housing, building repairs, and uninsured damages, Morrissey said.

Jean Kresse, CEO of the United Way of Story County, said the organization is still looking for private donations in order to better help with the disaster recovery.

The United Way has already received $1,000 from the executive council of the Iowa State University Malaysia Alumni Association.

Kresse said that 100 percent of donations will go directly to those who are affected by the disaster.

Campbell said those who are more than 65 years of age, disabled or have special circumstances are the top priority right now.

If you need volunteers for physical work or want to volunteer, call 239-5678 between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. from Aug. 18-20.

Before rebuilding, contact the city inspections unit for a permit.