Campus prepares for students

Students had to evacuate the lower level of University Village due to heavy flooding in the area.

Matt Wettengel

The Department of Residence sent an e-mail to all students yesterday evening confirming that move-in dates would continue as scheduled, despite Tuesday’s flooding.

In Schilletter & University Village, 27 apartments received water damage, while residence halls remained safe from the rising waters. Of the 27 apartments, 11 were occupied at the time of the flooding. Residents of these apartments were contacted and relocated to Wallace and Wilson halls. Residents will be contacted as soon as their apartments are ready for them to move back in.

“Our goal is to get people moved into their apartments as soon as possible so that they can get situated and ready to begin classes on (Aug.) 23,” said Susan Lammers, SUV director.

Students moving into the residence halls should come back to campus prepared. Bottled water will be provided to residents at all hall desks, but bringing your own case of water is encouraged.

Resident life will continue in a normal fashion; parking will be available and dining centers will be operating, but students need to pay attention to what the city of Ames and Iowa State are telling them when they make their return, said Brittney Rutherford, marketing coordinator for ISU Dining.

“As of right now we’re operating according to the forecast,” Rutherford said. “If more rain than we’re expecting comes, we will respond accordingly and contact students as soon as possible.”