Roling gives State of the Student Body Address

Paige Godden —

GSB President Luke Roling, senior in chemical engineering, gave his State of the Student Body Address on Wednesday, listing many ideas on tackling the issue of student debt.

Roling said that he believes student debt remains an important issue that students are struggling with, despite the fact that Iowa State has one of the lowest tuition rates in the Midwest. He wants to use the ISU Ambassadors program to help send a united message to the state legislators to “stop the downward spiral of state funding.”

Roling also had ideas to control student spending on a level students have direct control over.

The peer-to-peer education program is going to have the most “successful and fruitful attempts at saving students money,” Roling said.

Roling also appointed a director of student debt management, a new position created by his administration, to make sure students are aware of the tax breaks that are available for them as students.

The creation of an off campus liaison website was mentioned during his address.

Roling said he wants to begin informing students of their responsibilities of signing leases off campus, and that Campustown revitalization is going to continue to be an important area of concentration for both the GSB and the city of Ames.

The GSB is working to make Campustown an “open and inviting area for students regardless of age,” Roling said.

Roling is working with the director of diversity on planning a large-scale, collaborative celebration of diversity. He also said he wanted to work with the administration to develop leadership opportunities on campus.

Roling said he wants to enhance student’s leadership skills, and that the number of leadership opportunities on campus is what sets Iowa State apart from other institutions.

He said the GSB needs to be able to “take the lead and go out on campus to serve students,” and will work to be an “effective team to lead the student body in the upcoming year.”

Thomas J. Augustine, senior in political science, was appointed associate justice for the supreme court. Augustine has previously served on GSB as the director of freshman outreach.

Augustine is currently serving as the vice president of risk management for the interfraternity council.

Daniel Voss, sophomore in materials engineering; Derek Grygiel, senior in chemical engineering; Andrew Gardini, senior in mechanical engineering; and Arjay Vander Velden, freshman in computer engineering, were voted in as the new members of the finance committee.

The finance committee reflected the budget of Ethos Magazine to carry over its funding.