HASENMILLER: Experience plight yourself

Blake Hasenmiller

When you think of homelessness in the United States, what comes to mind? When you think about the causes of homelessness, what do you think of?

Criminal activity? Alcoholism? Laziness?

While these certainly can be factors, they may not be as common as you think. Many other factors such as domestic violence, physical or mental disabilities and plain bad luck can be causes of homelessness as well.

According to the National Coalition for the Homeless:

• 63 percent of homeless women have experienced domestic violence in their adult lives.

• 16 percent of the adult homeless population suffers from some form of persistent mental illness.

• 13 percent of homeless individuals are physically disabled.

• 40 percent of homeless men have served in the armed forces.

• Among surveyed homeless people, 38 percent have an alcohol problem and 26 percent report problems with other drugs.

• There was a 32 percent jump in the number of foreclosures between April 2008 and April 2009.

• The U.S. Conference of Mayors’ 2005 survey of 24 American cities found that 13 percent of the urban homeless population were employed, though recent surveys by the U.S. Conference of Mayors have reported as high as 25 percent.

• The National Coalition for the Homeless estimates there are about 3.5 million homeless people in the U.S.

On Wednesday, St. Thomas Aquinas parish will be hosting the annual Homeless Sleep Out. The objective is to help raise awareness about the problem of homelessness and to dispel stereotypes about homeless people.

For this particular column, I’ve decided to take a break from my normal column style — how liberals are ruining America — and instead simply encourage you to take advantage of the events on campus and educate yourself.

From noon – 9 p.m., a “Facts versus Stereotypes” booth will sit south of the Campanile.

There will be a panel discussion on homelessness at 7 p.m. in room 2256 of the Memorial Union. Panel members include Tracy Robinson from the Iowa Catholic Worker House in Des Moines, Monica Goedken from ACCESS, Troy Jansen from the Emergency Residence Project in Ames and a representative from the Iowa Homeless Youth Shelter.

There will be an interfaith prayer service at 9 p.m. south of the Campanile, followed by the Homeless Sleep Out on the Campanile lawn.

If you’ve been on campus in past years, you may have noticed this late at night or early the next morning. Students will be constructing places to sleep out of cardboard boxes, then spending the night in them on campus.

This event is particularly unique because, by allowing students the opportunity to experience what it is like to be homeless for a night, it helps those involved to feel empathy for people who don’t have a place to stay.

So please, if you have time Tuesday, try to stop by one or more of these events.

Blake Hasenmiller is a senior in industrial engineering and economics from DeWitt.