Fashion Show invites high school students ‘Behind the Scenes’

Joshua Inyang, rear left, senior in apparel merchandising, design, and production, directs Nick Pfantz, left front, 21 junior in Advrt/Mkt, and Matthew Brinkley, sophomore in political science, during rehearsal for The Fashion Show on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at Stephens Auditorium. Photo: Yue Wu/Iowa State Daily

Yue Wu

Chelsea Davis —

More than 300 students, parents and teachers will gather on campus Friday to learn about possible futures in the apparel merchandising, design and production major.

Students will start off the day in Stephens Auditorium hearing from a student panel of AMDP majors.

They will also be exposed to activities relating to the major on campus, such as Trend magazine and MODA Fashion Club.

“We’re reaching out to those schools that maybe don’t know about the program,” said Allison Todd, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production and student co-director of the Behind the Scenes portion of the Fashion Show.

Jill Martin, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production and the other co-director, said she had a chance to attend this event as a high school senior.

“I personally think people should attend the Fashion Show because it’s a great way to see what the designers have been working on,” Martin said. “It’s also great to see what the major has to offer.”

Todd said this fashion show is the largest student-run fashion show in the nation.

“It’s also great simply for the entertainment factor,” she said. “I love going and watching it to see the different sets and props and how the models mix it up with the choreography.”

An exciting aspect of Behind the Scenes is the high school students get to speak with the guest designer, Rolando Santana, before the dress rehearsal Friday night.

“People get to see all different types of garments that you would never seen on the sidewalks in Iowa,” Martin said.