Exchange rates create budget worries

Gabriel Stoffa

At one time, study abroad was an adventure a student could embark upon with the understanding that the cost would be akin to living on campus. But for months now, the dollar has been on a downward slide against many currencies – particularly the euro.

Last week the price of the euro hit a series of 14-month highs. On Thursday, buying one Euro cost $1.49, compared to a recent low of $1.25 in March.

Such changes throw a kink in cost estimates — students trying to figure out how to fund their future study abroad as dollar and euro values slide up and down. And for those currently abroad, if the daily changes aren’t at the forefront of their minds, they can come rushing back when students discover the dramatic difference in costs that exchange rates can induce.

“I’ve seen many people who are shocked when their bank statement comes in, and they run out of money because they haven’t prepared,” said Jeff Edwards, senior in finance, currently studying abroad in Florence, Italy.

Students abroad have had to compensate in their budgeting in order to avoid feeding on the foreign equivalent of ramen noodles.

“I’ve been more conservative in my budgeting and more thorough in researching costs and prices for traveling,” Edwards said. “I’ve also found myself cooking more and giving up certain comforts that I would enjoy at home.”

And it’s not just room and board. Students studying abroad have to get a passport, apply for an International Student Identity card, purchase plane tickets, get a student visa and have immunizations, depending on the country. These costs, along with other travel incidentals, international cell phones, train and bus tickets and the like, can add up to thousands of dollars.

But while such costs are increasing, the number of students undertaking foreign study hasn’t changed.

“The number of students studying abroad in locations that utilize the euro has remained consistent,” said Julie Yankey, coordinator of semester and summer programs in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and a number of programs in Asia.

Yankey said at Iowa State the primary locations for foreign study are Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, with the prime non-European site being Australia.

For those without the finances, a summer or short-term program might be a better fit. Or students can think about setting their sights on a country where the value of the currency is near to or less than the value of the dollar.

But whatever the cost, for students like Edwards, it’s worth the price.

“I wanted to study abroad because it’s such a big world and I’m very intrigued by it all,” Edwards said. “Now, I’ve been to Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and now Italy — all through Iowa State.”

For more information about studying abroad at Iowa State, visit the Study Abroad office in the Memorial Union and check out the Web site at http://www.studyabroad.iastate.edu.