SOCCER: Offense sparks weekend sweep for Iowa State

Iowa States forward, Amanda Nimtz, center, celebrates her goal with teammates during their match against Wisconsin-Green Bay, at ISU Soccer Complex on Sunday. Photo: Jay Bai/Iowa State Daily

Jay Bai

Iowa State’s forward, Amanda Nimtz, center, celebrates her goal with teammates during their match against Wisconsin-Green Bay, at ISU Soccer Complex on Sunday. Photo: Jay Bai/Iowa State Daily

Austin Thomas

On Friday night, the lights weren’t the only thing that shone bright.

Freshman Amanda Woelfel scored twice as the Cyclones upset 20th-ranked DePaul. Iowa State hadn’t beaten a ranked opponent since 2007 when they beat Missouri, but Friday night the Cyclones had the Blue Demons’ number. The final score was 3–1, and the Cyclones put on the pressure from the get-go and didn’t let off the gas.

Just three minutes into the game, senior Casey Bothwell fired in a goal after the DePaul goalie had a bad clearance. DePaul evened the score in the 14th minute, but Woelfel took over scoring in both the 36th minute and the 47th minute, giving Iowa State a two-goal advantage they kept until the final horn sounded.

Woelfel’s two goals were assisted by fellow freshmen Jordan Wagner and Megan Long. The freshman class is making an obvious impact very early on in the year.

What is intriguing about Woelfel’s two goals Friday night is the fact that, before coming to Iowa State, she had not played an offensive position.

Head coach Wendy Dillinger said that Woelfel has stepped into the offensive role and stepped into it well.

“She stepped in and did what she needed to do,” Dillinger said. “That’s what we’re going to need out of our depth and people coming off the bench.”

Sunday was a different story.

The Cyclone’s blitzkrieg offense came out and struck early against Wisconsin-Green Bay with senior captain Lauren Fader scoring in just the second minute of the game with a header on a long kick from fellow senior Elisa Berzins.

The Cyclones have been in this situation before, being up early and relying on their defense to hold strong. The Cyclone defense, so far, has been a stone wall and ranks among the top in the Big 12.

Led by sophomore Mary Kate McLaughlin and freshmen Natalie Foulk and Long, the defense held their ground for 76 minutes, allowing the Phoenix just four shots on goal in the first half.

However, the relentless attack by the Phoenix finally got through in the 78th minute.

With only 12 minutes remaining on the clock, the team had to rely on their offense to win the game for them. It paid off in the 85th minute when senior Amanda Nimtz wove through defenders all the way from midfield to score an unassisted goal to put the Cyclones on top 2–1.

Although the Phoenix tried to muster a final attack, it proved futile and the Cyclones came out victorious. However, the victory was a little too close for comfort for Dillinger.

Dillinger said the victory showed good character; however, she also said that the game shouldn’t have gotten to the point it did.

Although it was a close victory, the win Sunday marks the first time in school history that the team has been undefeated after its first five games. Dillinger said that it was about time this mark was reached.

The win this weekend will launch the Cyclones into a six-game road stretch. They won’t be home until Oct. 2.

“It’s important for building confidence, and give us a little push,” Dillinger said of the win this weekend. “It’s hard to play on the road … our conference is tough, we need all the confidence that we can get.”

The Cyclones travel to Illinois next weekend to take on both Eastern and Western Illinois.